RedHawk Vs Ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mexiking, Mar 2, 2007.

1. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I called to price an 07' Ferris and I got quoted $4700 compared to $2699 for a redhawk, both of em 48" hydro. I think i'm going to go with the redhawk, that price difference is huge. I've been reading the redhawk threads and so i've read good things about them. The only thing bad I hear about them is that they're made in China, but so is a lot of other things that we use everyday so I see why not.

2. mexiking

from NJ

oh and the ferris 17hp compared to 18 on the redhawk

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

So is the quality difference. I wouldnt waste the money on a RedHawk.

4. mexiking

from NJ

have you used one to say that

5. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

Why not go with a Quick 44 from Better, they run about $2995 for the Samurai, and $2695 for the Super Duty. That would be a much better purchase than the RedHawk, but if I had to chose, I'd go with the Ferris.

6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I demoed one once. I thought they were very poorly made. Cheaply put together. Not very sturdy at all. A rep came in from the east coast to see how the market would be for one. He went to my dealer so I thought I would give it a shot. I wasnt impressed at all.

Id spend the money on something you know will last.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Your comparing the Red hawk to a ferris is like comparing a Kia to a Lexus. Ferris is a good machine that is well built. Its going to cost more but its worth it. I would not waste my money on a Redhawk mower.

8. johng

johng LawnSite Member

One reason would be that the Redhawk uses a real hydro system that allows one wheel to spin forward while the other one spins backward. If you look at a Toro hydro you'll get an idea of what the Redhawk system looks like. Two seperate pump/valves and two wheel motors. I wish there was another name for what Quick sells because to call it a "hydro" is kind of misleading for anyone who hasn't operated a "regular hydro". A real hydro should be able to do 360's without putting any pressure on the bars and I don't see how the Quick could possibly do that. The ability to do 360's is far more valuable to me than just having a better reverse because I don't go in reverse very often. I just spin the machine around and drive out in forward.
    John...

9. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

John, check this out:

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/BodyPages/Images/TurfFieldTestApril2006.pdf

I had heard people say that zero-turning on a single hydro had to be either impossible
    or very hard to do. Well, this is not the case at all. It is easy to do zero-turns by
    just slowing up on your ground speed and slightly pushing to the left or
    right, depending on the turn. You can also tell that this mower is designed by
    someone who has used commercial mowers because it has a very wellplaced
    and easy-to-use hydro release bar right at the back of the frame.

This is from the Turf Magazine Review last April.

10. johng

johng LawnSite Member

So when you are doing these turns there is no forward speed whatsoever and both wheels are turning at the same speed but in opposite directions? How is that possible with a single hydro and no brakes? You have two of these so I'm just asking because I don't think zero speed, zero effort, zero turns are possible with a Quick and I do them all the time with my hydro. I just squeeze the levers and get out of it's way. It's my favorite part of owning my hydro and far more valuable than it's good reverse.