Redmax 2600 or 3000?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JFizzle, Jun 8, 2007.

1. JFizzle

JFizzle LawnSite Member

Need to get a new trimmer tomorrow. I've narrowed it down to these two and done a lot of reading on here about each - lots of good things about them both.

The new trimmer will mostly be used for weekly maintenance but I would like to have something strong enough to cut some brush and a few saplings every once in a while. Can the 2600 do this? I'd like to save 70 bucks if I can. Is there a huge/noticable difference between the 26 and 29 CC's? Can someone give me a comparison as far as power goes? How much do I need for what I'm doing?

Thanks.

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Is that the only brand you want or would you consider an Echo SRM-261T?

3. JFizzle

JFizzle LawnSite Member

I'm kinda stuck on redmax. I had an echo and liked it but over time have just converted everything to redmax mostly due to good dealer support.

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

what is the weight differance on the two trimmers??....if not much i would pay the extra money and go with the bigger one..you can never have to much power..

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Get the 3000.

30cc at exactly the same weight as the 2600... no-brainer...

I don't do any brush work with RedMax stuff though.
    So I can't give you a report there.

I use old Stihl's for that instead.
    The Stihl's have noticably more rigid, brawny construction for that sort of thing.
    So that's why I use them instead and haven't tried the RedMax at that.

I guess they would stand up to it, but get advice from someone that uses them for that.
    I can't say either way...

But you WILL want the 30cc for that.

6. JFizzle

JFizzle LawnSite Member

Thanks to you both. I've kind of been leaning towards the 3000 because I'd rather have too much than too little.
    I think the thing that has made me hesitant is realizing I'll be spending close to $400.

7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Try Wisesales.com

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I was trying RedMax on a trial basis and my dealer wanted well over $400 plus 7% sales tax for the 3000. I was floored when he told me. That was more than I was willing to put into a trial machine. But if I had it to do over, I would have gotten the 3000 anyways.

For what it is worth, I later caught him selling them online for $379 when he wouldn't budge for me. Pizzed me off because I would have gladly given him $379 for it.

9. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 of them and no you cannot brush cut with them nor cut small sapplings.
    They simply do not have the power. They are as rigid and hold up as well as anything I have used...

I have 2 Shindaiwa T-270s equipped with the speed loader head that will fit the bill. The most powerful trimmers I have ever used....they don't mess around.
    The speed head is worth price of admission.

btw, I also have 2 Stihl trimmers, they are okay as well, I have a prefence for the Shindaiwa

Fully load it in under a minute.

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

He probably knew you were a pita....and didn't cut you any slack...:hammerhead: lol....kenny.