1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redmax 7000 - 7001 On/Off Switch Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Pallas, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Trying repair a couple of 7000 and 70001 Redmax Blowers that the kill switch is not working on. I think the problem goes deeper than the switch. The units run fine but they won't shut off via the switch. There are two wires that come out of the engine housing (I assume from the coil). These normally just hook up to the two leads from the switch. However, when I run a jumper from the these two leads to each other (simulating the kill switch) the unit continues to run fine
    To really delve into this I'll have to take most of the unit apart - so, if I'm missing anything or if anyone has any other suggestions, please help me. Otherwise I'll be spending 3/4 of a day just to fix two kill switches. Thanks.
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

everyone of my redmax blowers have done this... fortunatly they have all been under warranty. Another problem I have is the choke switches breaking off and also a plastic peice inside the handle breaking therfore keeping you from being able to increase rpm's.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The shut-off problem is usually a broken wire right by the shut-off switch. The wires make a sharp curve right by the connection to the switch. They usually break there, even though at first glance they appear to be ok.
    As to the other problems, remember, you have a 2 year warranty on those Redmax machines.
  4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it's the switch. I disconnected the switch back where the leads connect to the switch lines (where they leave the engine and come through the housing). That's where I tried to jumper the two wires - with no results. These machines are way out of warranty.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On echo the wire comes from the coil alongside the sparkplug wire. You can disconnect that wire and try grounding. If it doesn't shut off the engine the wire has come off at the coil end. If that doesn't get it come back.