1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redmax 7000 skipping at full throttle...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Jan 21, 2005.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

I thought there might have been a post on this but after searching for ten minutes I am going to throw myself out and ask.

I dont know why, but at full throttle I dont get "full" power and it starts to miss or skip every ten to fifteen seconds. Like it is taking a deep breathe or something... I figure it might have something to do with the carb, but that is where I am stopping in my trying to fix it.

I just had it tuned up at the only local dealer in town, and to be honest with you after seeing them and talking to them, they did not inspire a lot of confidence in me. So no surprise when the blower still does this...

Any suggestions?
  2. MastercutzLawnCareII

MastercutzLawnCareII LawnSite Member

When you had it in the shop do you know if they changed the fuel filter inside the gas tank? That would be my first place to stop, hard to tell if they are clogged up and while you got it out go ahead and install a new one to it, they are cheap considering how much trouble they could be to get the tube out of the tank.....
  3. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the choke is tight, had this problem with a 8000. the choke was vibrating slightly closed when it got to a certain speed. it would not run at top speed. Also make sure the screen in the exhaust is not plugged from carbon buildup.
  4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i have found out that most problems on 2 cycle equipment is the spark plug thay can foul out very fast even when thay look good the excessive heat and oil does a number on internal parts for $3.00 bucks its a cheap fix always use fresh gas i like 89 octane has more additives than regular and the correct oil per mgn specks
  5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

A tune-up is getting a new spark plug and a new air filter, so I doubt it's the spark plug.

I'd have to go with a carb problem. Take it apart, oops, I mean take it to your dealer and have him check it out. It shouldn't cost you more than 1/2 hour of labor if he's a fair guy. Consider taking it to an independent small engine shop if you really don't like your Redmax guy.

And don't forget to report back when you get it fixed, eh?
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

When you say miss or skipp, this usually indicates a electrical problem to me. I would not assume a new plug is good, and would also check all your wiring and ground for the kill switch. Normally a fuel problem is more of a surge or just a lack of power.
  7. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I have had a similar problem w/ my Shindaiwa EB630. Sound crazy, but does it happen all the time? If not, how much gas do you have in the tank. Mine started doing it end of the year, couldn't figure out what was up. I found it would only do it when it was less than 1/3 of a tank. Filter looks good, but when I have 1/2 tank or more it runs great. I haven't bought a new filter yet, but will do a full spring tune up which I know will fix it. Good luck and keep us posted.
  8. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

Green 814,my Redmax 7001 Does The Same Thing,skips At Low Fuel.i Thought It Was Electrical But It Was Fuel.half Tank Or More Runs Like Champ.
  9. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Fuel lines can develop cracks and cause the engine to suck air instead of gas but this shows up as a lack of power and rpm not a miss.
  10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine did the same thing whith very low hours. Turned out to be a problem with the gas cap vent. The next time your blower starts to hunt and miss, crack open the gas cap. If the machene runs great thereafter, it's a gas cap vent problem.

Pete D.