Redmax 7001 Eats Itself!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by relakst, Dec 4, 2003.

1. relakst

relakst LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Finally got my 7001 yesterday, was happily blowing the snow today when suddenly it sounded like the motor was ceasing up. I shut it off, took it off, and found that the strap end had somehow worked its way into the fan! Chewed it real good, too.

Took it back to the dealer who said that it wouldn't have damaged the impellor because there is a metal garborator-like fan that would have chewed the strap before it would have damaged the impellor.

As far as whether or not they will replace the strap (it's just the small piece at the bottom that you pull on to tighten the strap) they are going to look into it. Otherwise I would have to buy the whole strap for something like $38.00 Canadian.

Design flaw or idiot owner?
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

You should see the backs of ALL of my old flannels. When we used to use the Stihl BR series, they ate all my shirts if they weren't tucked in.

So....the real do you like the power of your new blower? Awesome, huh?
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Mine has the screen on them. I have never had either of mine do that.
  4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Is the fan/impellor guard missing? Mine Looks like the holes in it are too small to allow the strap to enter. I know this seems like a glaring oversight, but stranger things have happened.
  5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember my first br I was blowing a drive and large walkway and kept seeing something green flying up in the air, this went on for about 15 minutes before I realized the back of my shirt was gone.
  6. relakst

relakst LawnSite Member
    from Canada

HA HA. OK, the gaurd is there but did you notice that on the left side the gaurd doesn't go all the way down to the bottom? This is where the strap entered and had its untimely demise.

Other than that, the power is awesome... have to try not to get spun around, you know.
  7. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Where do I sign up for the "STIHL ate my shirt club?":p

Now that I run PB-750, I get more work done, and get to keep my shirt
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

How is it that YOUR strap got caugh in YOUR blower, yet it is somehow THEIR problem?
  9. relakst

relakst LawnSite Member
    from Canada

A design FLAW such as a strap being able to get sucked in the fan through a SPACE where there should be MESH, I think, is THEIR problem.
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen, especially when a blower sucks in somebody't shirt. With that stuff happening, it is only a matter of time before somebody gets seriously hurt.