1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redmax 7001 not reaching full throttle???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NJemerald, Dec 7, 2004.

1. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

My Redmax is only 2 years old... I've replaced the air filter/ pre filter/ fuel filter & spark plug. Cleaned & Blown out the carb./fuel lines AND still it will only throttle up to 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I am getting the full length of travel on the throttle arm/cable on top of the carb & I see no adjustments on the carb.
    Could the muffler be clogged?
    Has anyone else run into this problem?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Try taking off the muffler and clean the exaust port.
  3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

when i had that problem it was the fuel filter, but try the muffler next
  4. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

If it sounds normal then I can't understand the exhaust being clogged it has to be something in the carb.

Does it sound like it always does at that rpm?
  5. EWIRedMaxRep

EWIRedMaxRep LawnSite Member

Check the fuel filter and pickup. Also try using a better grade of fuel. It depends on the area, but at some times of year in the transition between fuel blends, some of my dealers have experienced problems very similar to yours. Typically if you are using a good mix oil, RedMax, Echo, Shindaiwa, Stihl. In that order, you will have very little carbon or soot buildup. One of my dealers recently passed 75 units sold since June without a warranty filed. These are some seriously reliable units. Let me know if I can help. :)
  6. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

I have the same problem right now. Its a 2 cycle right. The oil sat too long and seperated from the fuel. Since the engine ran with no oil, the cylinder wall is now scratched and expanded too much. Pretty much it's eF-ed. Ride it till it dies, don't worry it will
  7. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

I run the redmax blowers to and had the same problem. Some 2 cycle equipement comes with a spark arrestor screen just inside the muffler port where the exhaust comes out. I take the screens out of all mine when i buy them because sometimes they get clogged just enough to choke the unit down. Most of them just have a small screw that holds them in. My unit had to have the carb rebuilt also.
  8. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the chock is tight, I've them get loose and vibrate just enough to effect not running @ full throttle. make sure the screw is tight. the chock should click closed. good luck
  9. pstrains

pstrains LawnSite Member
    from ny

I just had the same problem. My blower has been slowing down over time. Today (right in the middle of my big leaf-cleanup) it slowed to a crawl.

I first checked the fuel filter and plug but they were fine. I was worried about a bad gas-oil mixture (I use a multi-grade oil) ruining my engine but then I decided to check the muffler after reading this site. Although the port was clear, I noticed that the tailpipe was completely blocked by rust, soot, gunk, etc. I poked a hole through with a screw driver and reinstalled it and the blower nearly blew me off my feet! I forgot how powerful it was.

Note: If you see that your tailpipe is clogged, I still recommend removing the muffler to clean it. That way you can point the tailpipe down when you clean it and the crud falls out rather than into the muffler.

Good luck.
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Pull the muffler off and clean the exhaust port where exhaust leaves the cylinder. I bet it will run like new.
    After you scrape out the buildup, use compressed air to blow any debris out of the cylinder itself. Reinstall the muffler and you are good to go.