1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redmax 7001 or Stihl BR600?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MrC, Apr 22, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Sorry for another backpack thread, but I thought I was all set with getting the 7001 until I found out that no local dealers would let me demo it. I just happened to stop by a Stihl dealer and found out that the BR600 cost the same as the 7001. He even let me demo it and it was a really nice pack.

I've found many threads comparing the BR600 against the 8000 with the consensus going with the 8000 for pure power and a lot more $. It's seems as if the 600 and 7001 are more comparable based on the postings on the boards but based on specs the 600 wins hands down. What to do?

Summary from what I have read:
    7001- Tried and true, powerful
    600- Powerful, Comfortable, and Quiet (A lot have said it's quieter than the 2 strokes, but it has the same db as the 7001?)
  2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

both are great, but I own eb7001, it is a perfect bp due to weight and compactness. It has plenty of power to do large job and small job. The 600 is having some issues with components and parts but it is the best of Stihl bp, so either way you won't be disappointed. The 8000 is heavier than the two and more expensive but it blows house away, again, do you really need that much with extra money spent? I am very pleased with 7001, including my helpers.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've had my 600 for a couple of years now and it has been dang near perfect so far. I did have an issue with the fuel filter but that has been resolved with a heavier fuel filter.
  4. East Coast Lawn Choppers

East Coast Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

We've had our 600 for almost two years now and use it a lot. We have never had a problem with it and it has enough power to do anything we've tried using it for. (wet leaves, walnuts, gravel, etc...) Never tried a 7001 so I can't compare I can only reply with my results from the 600.
  5. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have a 600 and i chose it instead of the 7001 because it was a lot more comfortable on my back and maybe a little bit more powerful. As far as noise, i think they are both 75db, but the 600 sounds a lot better because it is a 4cycle compared to the high pitched errrhh 2 all 2 cycle blowers give you.
  6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a BR600 a little over a year and use it every day on my 60 some accounts to blow clippings off of drives. Not many leaves here in FL, at least not like the fall up north. It starts on the first or second pull every time (first pull when warm) and has performed flawlously for me.
  7. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

I just bought a 7001, my first bp so no camparison to anything but... my dealer sells both and directed me to the Red Max. I trust his judgement completely. This company is family owned and has been in business for well over 30 years. They base their recomendations on their own use, the repairs they do, and what the other comercial guys are buying.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have been very impressed with my br600 so far. i didnt expect to like it better than the 8000 -but i do
  9. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I love my BR600. I have the Red Max 8000 and use it when the BR600 is on someone else's back. The BR600 is the Cadillac of back pack blowers
  10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if you like the RedMax, check out the Husqvarna 170 backpack. Made by redmax, painted orange. Only difference is the plastic shroud over cylinder and handle on tube.

Redmax equivelant is the EBZ7001.