REDMAX 7001 - RANT/ Need advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FIRESCOOBY, Sep 5, 2007.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the deal:

Bought a new REDMAX 7001RH in May 2006. Ran great until October last year when it started cutting out. Took into dealer and they could not Duplicate. It kept doing it the remainder of fall, but was very intermittent.

Started season this year and it started acting up again, but more frequent. Took into shop a total of 4 times from April to July. They had the blower for a total of about 3 weeks over those 4 times. They finally ended up saying it was "bad gas" and charged me $30 for removal and cleaning of carb. While doing this they 1) put carb on upside down/backwards and 2) burnt right shoulder strap on muffler or the like. I was way too nice and took it. The very next day it started doing it again and took it back. THIS time they provided a loaner (first time they did). After a week they replaced carb and it ran like a brand new one.

FAST FORWARD 2 weeks until today. Used it before lunch and it was running like a top. Went to lunch, came back and started working. Went to go crank blower (it had sit for maybe 2-3 hours) and jerked it off the ground. The motor is locked up tighter then dicks hat band.

Stopped by dealer and they said "Sorry, it only has a 1 year warranty". Said..."Well, I'll let you know how good the Stihl 600 is when I sling this thing through the front door tomorrow morning."

Come home and look in my manual...IT HAS A 2 YEAR WARRANTY!!! I'm gonna call owner tomorrow and see what I can get done. I'm gonna push for a new blower, but would rather have my money back.

Anyone have any experience getting a new piece of equipment after more than a year of use?

Thanks

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like the mageto(or whatever it's called)......they can go in the red max's. Never had a carb do that...........we must have had close to 100 rd max blowers over the years...and not 1 "locked up".......ever.

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if it's locked up, it's probably from them replacing the carb and it sucked air (loose carb) and went lean causing the meltdown.

also, the warranty is two year homeowner, one year commercial if i remember correctly.

4. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

5. SpartanBill

SpartanBill LawnSite Member

Sounds like the prob. is as much with your dealer as it is the product. Ibought a Redmax whip just over 3 months ago, after first week it had lost 50% of its power, took it back to my dealer, they cleaned the spark arrester and I had I back the next day. Last week the same whip shut down in mid operation, deffinately an electrical issue so back to the dealer I go, the kid prints up a copy of my invoice and staple it to my service tag, next day they call and say " your trimmer is ready and it'll be $45". So when I go in to pick it up I kinda have an attitude already and the woman(she's been there as long as I can remember 25+ yrs.) gets all defensive when I ask why It's not under warranty. And her response is that nobody tagged it as warrany, however my invoice dated June 1st is stapled to the service tag she is holding in her hand. So in the end they still charged me $7 for a spark plug that they say was fouled.

Moral of the story: a dealership is a dealership, cars or lawn equip. even if you have a decent relationship you still can't trust them. I'd def. have a talk with your dealer. If you have documenation of the previous mis-diagnosis' while under warrany you have a leg to stand on.

P.S. I inherited a very used & abused EBZ 8000 blower, the plastic frame is broken, there's a hole in the housing, the control arm broke off and is only attached by the throttle cable, and one shoulder strap broke and had to be tied on, also the kill switch wires got disconnected so it needs to be choked off, But it starts cold on the 2nd pull every time & will still blow the paint off your truck if your not careful.

Good Luck
    Bill

6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned 4 7001 blowers. I just bought one just 2 weeks ago. I have had no problems whatsoever. It was replaced because it was lost off trailer. The other one was replaced because one of my guys ran straight gas through it.

The new ones are strato-charged. Blow better, work better.

Talk to the dealer.

The one that was run with straight gas, no oil, was fixed, new cylinder, new piston. We will see how that comes out, so now I have 3 working.

7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

your problem with it being locked up is b/c too much pressure built up in the gas tank and forced gas through the carb and into the engine. Take out the spark plug, lay old towel over engine, pull rope SLOWLY to force gas out. Pull several more times to spray remaining gas out of engine. Replace plug and pull several times. Probably with no choke, mid throttle.

It will take several pulls to start and it will smoke like crazy until it burns off all the extra gas.

As far as your other problem cant help ya. Call the dealer and nicely tell them there is a two year warranty. See what they say. If they cant help you out then you need to find a new redmax dealer.

8. captken

I have never {NEVER} had to take such drastic measures, since owning the 7001 series, since 2003.

Bullhockey, we are neither working to pay for college, nor are we working for funds for beer for the weekend.

We work year round, and will be here long after some graduate.... we can stand behind this product.

They start right up, no drastic measures, even when past their prime. [I mean past being new, just to clarify this for you] They are not prone to flooding conditions, unlike the Sthil blowers I had before we bought
    Red Max.

Take it to the dealer, talk to him. Get it resolved. If you are not at fault, you can get it resolved.
    They can tell whether or not you ran straight gas through it or not.

If you did not, you are good to go.

9. captken

Dire Straits,. Money for nothing and the chicks are free. Or how do I get a free lunch?

lol, kenny.

10. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I just got a 2005 8k (the troubles I experienced with this particular unit were well documented by my dealer) replaced this year, with a brand new 8001 weeks past the expiration of the warranty.

For my part, it was painless; it's all about your dealer support.