1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

redmax 8000 & 8001 Differences.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Nov 17, 2006.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

what are the differences between the 8000 and the 8001. I have two 8000's now and I am looking at buying a new one, maybe a 8001.
  2. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Performance wise there is no difference. I emailed Redmax directly and they told me that air volume, air speed, engine etc. are the same. The only difference they mentionned was a different frame. I've not seen one so I don't know of any other differences.
  3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a reply from Envy he sent me.......
    Well, I didn't just settle for the 8000's for a few reasons...

1) I just never had personally liked the 8000's. Fit, finish or feel.

2) The recalls and the poor reliability reports.

3) I understand the dealer's need to move existing product, but that goes nowhere with me when I'm not willing to settle for what they have in stock.

In all honesty, I was very nervous that I would not like the 8001's either. I was afraid there really would not be that much different. I would have sorta felt crappy about it if I hadn't... but at the same time I also already knew if I didn't like them that I would still be buying my stuff from them. Just different units.

At a quick glance in pictures, you really can't tell much difference between the 8000 and 8001. But in person, you can see it in the fit and finish, and you can feel it when you put them on your back.

As far as what is actually different... it's almost easier to say what is the same, and that would be:

The engine itself
    The engine cover
    The carb............ (but not the choke assembly)
    The airbox
    The front halfshell of the blower housing

Pretty much all the rest is different. I think I posted a list here somewhere. But some have claimed there are 8000's that have had most of the updates put on them. Dunno if that is true or not. But I'm figuring this only applies to the safety recall on the muffler and some who replaced broken frames with the new type that's stock on the 8001's.
  4. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Can't buy the 8001 in California, something to do with clean air.
  5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

My frame on my 8000 broke, right where the hip throttle connects. Warranty would not cover it, but it had to be fixed. They put on the same one that is on the 8001. It is more comfortable, but almost feels flexible and seems to droop when hung on a blower rack. The new frame is blow molded.

I hope it holds up.
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Interesting......My 8000 broke in the same exact spot and it WAS coverd under warranty. My dealer installed a brand new frame free of charge.
  7. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just got mine yesterday.I also have a 6200.Looks like crap but still strong as new.From what i see so far the tube an handle is not as flexible as the 6200.I know it's still tight ,but my arm isn't as flexible with it as the old one.an i swear the old one blows harder! May be all in my head.I do know it is much easier on gas!!.What are some of you guys thoughts?Thanks Lee
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You will not notice hardly any differences between the two. We have both.
  9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

does that mean we WILL notice differences? (double negative) LOL.:weightlifter:
  10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I think it fits a little better on your back but other then that you will not notice much difference. The choke lever is a tad different but thats about it.