RedMax 8000 Fuel Filter - Spark Arrester

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Aug 5, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

RedMax 8000 isn't running the smoothest. I have a few questions.

1) How do you get the spark plug cover off? I once tried taking the cap off my Stihl blower and disaster! The Stihl spark plug cap has a wire that hooks around the spark plug. You have to twist the cap and carefully pull it off without breaking that little wire. Stupid! Is the RedMax like this?

2) Manual says periodically check the fuel filter as it will become clogged and decrease power. So, how do you check the fuel filter? How do you get to it to check it?

3) Spark Arrester - How do you pull it out to check the screen? I tried pulling on it, but I don't want to break anything. And have you ever cleaned the filter in the muffler housing?

By the way, the air cleaner is perfectly clean! Trying to figure out why it's running rough. Thanks!

2. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

dont use pliers or anything just grab the cap give it a lil twist and pull

i dont usually have problems with fuel filters but its inside the fuel tank where the fuel lines are coming from there is a rubber gromet its not always easy to get out but once you get it out the fuel filter is hooked to the main fuel line
    i would just replace it rather then clean it there only like 4 bucks i believe

i dont have one infront of me but theres diferent styles i think the redmax uses the kind that hooks around the end of the muffler pipe like a cone if its there you can easily take it off clean it and put it back on
    ill look for a pic and try and show you a little better. im not very good with decriptions

3. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Thanks for the help! Still confused on how to pull out the spark arrester to clean it. I can see it, but it won't budge when I try to pull it out.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you plan on keeping the spark arrestor out dont remove it to "clean". Just take a flashlight and make sure it isnt loaded with carbon and you are good to go. I removed mine and put it back in but the exhaust pressure from the motor pushed the f^^cker right back out.

Fuel filter just take wire coat hanger and fish it out of the tank.

Spark plug, just pull the thing straight up maybe with a twist. Never had a problem with mine. Good luck

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The spark arrester needs to go. It is attached to a little collar that slips over the end of the exhaust. Take a small pair of pliers, grip the collar, and begin gently twisting it back and forth as you pull on it.. It will eventually break loose and you can pull it off. Throw it away. It will plug with carbon and cause your machine to have sluggish throttle response, bog down, and cause a drop in RPM's when it begins to plug up. It will also cause the exhaust port on the engine to carbon up.

6. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

just yank that spark plug arrester right off with a pair of needle nose pliers its in there pretty good so youll have to use a little elbow grease.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Spark arrestors do not clog if you run your equipment at the speed it was designed to be run at -- WOT

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Maybe in a perfect world, but this is not a perfect world. I have never seen a spark arrestor on any brand of 2 stroke handheld machine, that did not eventually clog. Stihl, Echo, RedMax, you name it, they all clog. I am a dealer, I see a lot of machines in a years time.
    True however, running the right fuel/oil mix, and running the machine at full throttle, unstead of letting it idle or bog a lot, will postpone the eventual clogging for a long time in most cases.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I'll second this comment......I would say every one of the Echo units eventually clog over completely. When I took my new 261T apart yesterday for maintenance it didn't have a spark arrestor....That is a good step!

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

True they all clog get it off just pull it with needle nose pliers.