redmax 8000 in the heat

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bobcatnj, Jun 12, 2008.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

one of my redmax 8000 back pack blowers runs like crap when it is really hot hot. when your at full throttle its starts to sputter, then goes back to full throttle, then sputters etc...... the air filter and fuel filter are both new.

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Could just be vapor bubbling up in the pickup tube if it's so hot. Or who knows what else.
    - fuel tank venting ?
    - is the carb hot when you touch it ?
    - Try a simple spark plug change.

3. bobcatnj

no one else

4. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

If I remember correctly I had a similar problem with my 8000 series too. I believed at the time the problem lay with the carb but I was unable to figure out how to adjust it. From talking to my dealer the carbs where made to be disposable and non adjustable due to Red Max trying to achieve standards higher then the California emission laws. I put a new carb on and problem solved, same with my 2nd 8000 series started acting the same way. Think it was like $50 cost for each carb.

If some one else knows other wise please say so as I would like to know for future reference when I have to work on mine again.

Hope this helps.

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I would suggest cleaning and re-gaping the plug...if it's a champion, switch to NGK or Autolite, how does the plug look ? I've seen older 2 cycle engines that have carbon build up on the piston flake off and bridge the gap on the plug and then blow off.
    In this heat, could be the coil starting to break down as well, but they usually die and need to cool off before you can restart them.
    Good Lick

ericg likes this.
  6. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check for carbon build up in the pulse port on the insulator block behind the carb. Maruyama blowers did this years back and would give the same symptoms.

7. bobcatnj

the spark plug in it is new. that would effect how the blower would run?

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Sure, plugs go bad, foul out, the wrong gap, too wide or too narrow, the wrong heat range, even the brand will effect how it can run. Some plugs work better in certain brands of equipment. Many years ago Denso plugs worked great in Tanaka Blowers, but not Champions. Bosch plugs for what ever the reason work better in Stihl chain saws. A while back there was a thread on here about how good Autolite plugs are.
    Last week I had a Exmark Lazer with a Kohler Command 25 come in that was running bad and hard to start. Instead of the RC12YC that should have been in it, there was some no name brand. Put the Champions in and it started right up and ran great.

ericg likes this.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am an Echo guy but......the first thing I do in hot weather is to go to the carb adjustment. If the unit is a couple years old I will put in new carb kit, fuel filter, breather, air filter and check and clean the outlet ports. If the unit is clean then seal on crank are probably okay. If redmax has no adj on carb then rebuilding it would be only option before getting a new carb.

10. bobcatnj

how would you adjust the carb?