1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redmax 8000 is a piece of _hit !!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mini14, Sep 5, 2006.

1. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

been having problems getting it started so took it to dealer cauz its still in warrenty....dealer tells me they are having lots of problems with cracked cylinders and or cracked rings......got it back from him other day he replaced cylinder and ring cauz he said the cylinder was cracked......now the dam thing only in the morning takes about 30 pulls to get it started......can anyone tell me what gives ? once started and warmed up, the rest of the day it will start on 1 pull. just droped it off again but would like others input here on what could be wrong .......this was my first and last 8000 i will ever buy, possibly my last redmax i will ever buy..had it almost 2 years now and it did run great before these problems, it allways started cold on 2-3 pulls.
  2. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had 7001s and the 8000 and never had any problems.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

No problems here,cept the plugs are expensive.
  4. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

mine works great:clapping:
  5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds more like a carb problem. have you checked out the fuel system and carb?
  6. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

1 pull when warmed up to start and 2 when cold to start. LawnInOrder
  7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Only minor mechanical problems with our 8000's. The choke knob, and the bolt that secures the frame to the engine comes loose on a couple of the 05 models.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If I were you I would buy a new redmax 8000 because mine has performed very well. Starts on 2nd pull cold, 1st pull warm. Every time, consistant as chit fallin downhill.
  9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Have you checked to see if the primer bulb is filling with gas? It may be that the tube is kinked or not down far enough into the tank.
    ericg likes this.
  10. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I've had problems with mine too. It will lose power after using it for a while and has developed a vibration that can be felt with each step you take. I was having trouble when it was really hot out. It was hard to start and when it did start it took a minute or two to finally rev up. When it works like it should, I love all 25 lbs of it. From what I've read on this site, I've come to the conclusion that Redmax made a few lemons and I guess we won the lemon lottery.