Redmax 8000 Most Economical Technique Blowing Leaves??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevin11946ny, Apr 15, 2007.

1. kevin11946ny

kevin11946ny LawnSite Member

I Have A Redmax Ebz8001. Regardless Of The Blower I Would Like To Get Input On Your Individual Styles For Doing Leaf Cleanups?

I Just Did A 1/2 Acre Lot And It Took Me 5 Hours With 1 Other Helper.

For Example If You Have A 1/2 Acre Open Lot How Would You Go About It To Minimize Your Time.

I Did The Lawn 2x The First Was Making Several Piles To Get Up The Majority Of The Leaves Then I Went Back Over It Again To Touch It Up.

Im Sure I Will Find The Best Way After Several Attempts. Could You Share Your Ways To Do Leaf Cleanups Please?

Im Thinking I Made A Mistake Doing It 2x I Should Have Did It Once And Got Up Everything And Saved A 2nd Run Over The Lawn.

Of Course Start From The Back And Work Your Way To The Front, Would It Be Quicker To Blow Everything Into The Center Of The Yard Or Just Make Separte Smaller Piles.

Thanks

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have mulch kits on the mowers and we work in a circle pattern working the mulched leaves towards the center. The blower guys work with the mower to clean from the outside in towards the center. By the time we get the mulched stuff to the center we can rake it up in a few bags and run the Walker over it to clean up the rest. We never touch the leaves with blowers until the mower goes over them a couple time because generally it is easy to get over the leaves before they get fluffed up.

3. kevin11946ny

How about if you were doing this by yourself with 1 leaf blower? Since i only have a 21" mower and for yards that have trees.

would you still work the permiter and blow into the center, do you believe this is the quickest way? If theres tons of leaves wouldnt it be better to make seperate piles since blowing 100s of pounds of leaves all the way toward the center might would take longer.

this job took me 5 hours and i got $300 and paid a friend $75 even though all he did was tarp the leaves out. Is this a good rate to charge? the lady said afterwards i could have got $350 from her if i asked her and that lco from the area quoted her $500 but she would never pay that. i could have done this in an hour or so, walking with a leaf blower for 4 hours sure is hard and tiering.

4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Would this have been faster with a 9HP push blower or a backpack and a hand held?

5. kevin11946ny

i only have a backpack redmax 8001 and curious on differnt techniques ppl use on spring cleanups with quite alot of leaves.

maybe its personal prefernce or maybe there is a proven technique on blowing leaves where to start making one pile or several piles, ect.

thanks

6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I was working out the kinks last year in spring clean ups, I advertised for power raking and got swamped with work.

Thanks to this site I got a few techniques I will use FIRST one or two guys both with back pack and hand held blowers follow each other around the perimeter. Apparently with a the thrust of 4 blowers the leaves can't back wash and this is supposed to make it extremely fast. Last year I did it with just a back pack and it took forever.
    2nd step, two power rakes and either the 4 blower technique (I'll try this first) or a push blower. I'm only going with two power rakes because I'm putting out 3x the flyers I did last year.

If the blowers work so we don't have to hand rake then the bigger the pile the better I guess. You are tarping but I'm bagging and leaving it for the garbage man, that's normal around here. But last year I found a easy and super fast way to bag the thatch. You have an empty plastic garbage pail (I have a 2 inch hole drilled in the bottom of it to prevent suction but it's also a convenient hand hold) just shove the pail into the pile and with a rake shove as much as you can in 10 secs, even stuff it a bit. Then put a plastic over the garbage can, so that the entire can is inside the bag, turn them upside down and pull the can out leaving all the thatch in the bag.
    This is extremely fast, especially when you have sticks and things that would normally catch a plastic bag if you tried filling up the can with the bag already inside.

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Dont hate me, but it doesnt sound like you have the right equipment to be doing cleaunups that big. You would have been able to do that house in 1-1 1/2 hours if you had a push blower and you buddy was using the backpack in the beds.

Like I said, dont hate me, I'm only trying to help you make money. I would be looking into investing in a push blower for the fall. It will save you tons of time and make you more money per day than just a backpack.

Good luck out there payup

8. kevin11946ny

the yard was 20k sq feet of almost woods with these weird plants i had to blow leaves out of and the enitre property was surrounded with pine trees that i had to clean out.

id love if i can do this in 90 minutes or to see someone do what i did in 90 minutes with 2 people with so many obstacles in the way to see how others do it. i know i can cut the time down if i had 2 blowers to 2-3 hours.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would do it same way.....put mulch kit on 21" and proceed we did many many that way 15 years ago when we had no WB or ZTR. With the 21" it is hell to mulch thick leaves but it is more hell to push them into big piles and then try to compress them into bag....just my thoughts. You did pretty good on money your way...so that wasn't bad.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

a snapper 21 with a gator blade will make short work of leaf cleanups