Redmax 8000 running like CRAP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnmaniac883, Sep 5, 2007.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The title says it all, have any other redmax 8000 owners experienced your blower popping, backfiring while under WOT then bogging down like its being flooded? Almost sounded like water in gas but that wasnt the case. Just got finished going through the carb, fuel filter, fuel lines, air filter, exhaust ports, muffler, spark plug which was carboned up, and the ignition coil air gap. If this thing doesnt run right tomorrow I guess I will replace the ignition coil then if it doesnt run right after that I'm buying a stihl br600 which from the reviews I have read on here might not be much better LOL. So ... anyone else?
  2. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

spark arestor (sp) i dont own a 8000 but i am giving it a shot.
  3. Jay74

Jay74 LawnSite Member

I had a problem with threads of carbon bridging the electrode gap on the spark plug. I would clean or replace the spark plug to have it happen again. Being a small engine technician, I tore the engine down and completely de-carboned the piston crown, head, and ports. But 2 tanks later it was doing it again. So I switched to a different oil and haven't had the problem since.

Hope that helps.
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i was gonna guess the spark arrestor in the exhaust port also.
  5. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

spark arrestor. that will bring the power down tremendously. its a little screen thats screwed into the tip of your exhaust.( you probably know what it is) just pull it out and give it hell.
  6. dubblet125

dubblet125 LawnSite Member

i had a problem like that when i first got mine. It ended up needing a new cylinder and piston. The mechanic told me that the old 8000 had a different piston and cylinder that would basically self destruct. That is what your seeing in the gap probably little flakes of metal from either the piston or cylinder. Anyway this was last year around this time and i havent had the problem since he put the piston and cylinder on it.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If you do a "search" on this topic, you'll see this is a very common problem with the 8000s.

Everything from cracked pistons to carb problems to whatever. If you think about it, I'll bet your 8000 does this especially when it's hot outside and usually when you've run it awhile, shut it down, and then started it up again a little later.

My best remedy was switching from Opti-2 to RedMax or Shindaiwa two-stroke oil. It still does it from time to time but not nearly as often.:confused:
  8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same problem with my 8000's, my solution was start buying Echo blowers again.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, it is running o.k again today, lost the spark arrestor a long time ago so that isnt the problem. Found carbon in the plug bridging the gap so I went ahead and replaced it. We will see how it does, thanks guys
  10. zima

zima LawnSite Member

same exact problem whit mine.