Redmax 8000 vs Stihl BR600 revisited...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Sep 16, 2005.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I took my BR600 and took the curved nozzle that I ordered for my BR550 (which I returned) and put it on my 600...I kind of got stuck with the part, but figured I would wait and use it if I got the 600...well, duh, it creates too much down pressure...I was curious about people saying the redmax having the great power, so I went down and measured the redmax pipes...the end of the nozzle the redmax 800 pipe end is 1/16 inch larger than the stihl 600...BUT, redmax told me a while back about a physics principle called bernoulli's principle...it is about flow of fluid or gas through a pipe as it narrows and/or widens...check this site out for an explanation and animation that one can manipulate...http://home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html
    See, the redmax at the housing starts out big and tapers down to the 2.8 inches, gradually...the stihl does not taper down until the very end at about 2.75 inches...I question the differences in the the gradual taper vs the abrupt narrowing at the end...so this is what I did...I cut the end off the curved nozzle, as I cannot use something that drags my nozzle to the ground and kills my bicep muscle...now, I have a straight nozzle vs the bullet tapered one...there was a difference...I practiced blowing with both and had different results...with the bullet taper seems to pinpoint the air more as the straight seemed to grab more of an area...I will have to demo the redmax again, but the principle states that as a pipe narrows, the fluid or gas flows faster, but loses, not gains pressure...so, if the redmax 8000 is more powerful, is the gradual taper the reason? How much more debris does one move over the other and how much more of a difference? The animation does not let one do an abrupt taper at the end but does allow for a gradual taper...712 cfm/201 mph at pipe for 600 vs 688 cfm/203 mph at pipe for the 8000...both great machines, but with different designs...I am curious to see future machines and the huge power they will have...This is probably the last time I will consume myself with this for awhile, as I have other things more important to think about...hope this opens the minds of many...lol...the jury is still out on the 4-mix and with the valves and more moving parts thing...we shall see...if the machines don't prove themselves, I will go redmax in two seasons and use the stihl for backup or my brother if he helps, unless by then redmax goes 4 stroke...we shall see if redmax continues the 2 cycle technology in the future...peace...

2. dcplace2004

is superior over the redmax 8000 in all aspects of power, design, etc...Isn't science awesome!

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I own the new 4mix, and have tried the 8000. the 8000 does blow harder and wider. The 4mix has a pinpoint action(i said this in another thread).

BUT for every day use the sthil wins hands down. If i;m up to my knees with leaves, get me a 8000 fast.
    John

4. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Hey John, I really appreciate your unbiased honest posts. Most guys are so blinded by brand loyalty.

5. John Gamba

from ct

Yeah!! i know what you are talking about LOLOLOLOL :waving:

John

400.jpg

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I reviewed the Br 600 at my dealer this week, I find it very attractive, price wise, and the fact all the components are enclosed, less things for the workers to break. And its quietness is a very good attribute in a blower.

Power wise, with the specs each manufacturer quotes, I would bet any power difference would be minimal. This spring we standardized on redmax blowers, had the BR 600 been in my dealers showroom, we probably would have went the sthil.

7. John Gamba

from ct

Wait till you get leaves bill. Lots of them :D

8. dcplace2004

I spent a lot of time dealing with my science experiment...all one needs to do is insult ole redmax and man o man...anyway, as the man says, the difference is probably minimal...I think that the redmax blows the most powerful cause it has great volume and blows with width...the stihl is more concentrated with the bullet end plus all of its OTHER features...that is why I have the curved nozzle that I cut to the same length as the bullet end where it instead has an open unobstructed end...it blows a wider area, but with a minor loss of velocity and volume--it has NO taper at any point in the pipe...it is about 3.4 inches as compared to the bullet at 3.7 inches and the redmax 2.8 inches...I will get a redmax if the stihl proves to be anything less than perfect...I am starting to see more and more trucks with redmax on them...I may one day get the redmax 8000 when it turns into the redmax 9000 or 10K...hmmm, redmax 10K...who knows what kind of crazy power it will have...plus, stihl can only get better now that they have figured how to harness power in their backpack...peace...

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, there is a relation between CFM, air speed, and how it is harnessed into a user friendly brute force.
    Balance is key.

My little Echo handheld gives one of the best performance examples of this I know of.
    It has a removable duck bill tip on it. With it on it is very pinpoint, more horizontally directed and quite user friendly. It also blows a much faster air stream with a smaller but more powerful brute force for moving debris (well I'd hardly call it brute).

Anyways, it does a good job of directing and moving a smaller about of debris farther, faster and more so where you want it to go. Now take that duck bill tip off and now you have a straight pipe. It has a less forceful air stream, but it will move a larger volume of material a shorter distance away and scatter it a great deal more. Without the curve, the air stream is also coming in at a steeper angle and it tends to sometimes blow stuff into the grass instead of across it, or it fails to get under what needs to be moved.

Anyways, yeah, I expect we could see one nasty mean blower from Stihl in the future.
    On the other hand, I think RedMax has taken it about as strong as they can get without falling off the cliff with the bulk of the blower. I think that is about as far as they can take a backpack and still have strong sales. On the other hand, just imagine if Stihl stepped up with enough more power to be in the same weight class as the RedMax 8000.... I believe it is realistic that Stihl could peak or eclipse 1000 cfm at the tube @ RedMax bulk and weight.

10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i do believe dcplace2004 is a stihl dealer, In which case stihl pays you to have majority stihl or all stihl products...