RedMax 8001 break-in?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, you guys that have the 8000's... how long before these engines get really broken in good for everything to be up to full power? Like how many hours or tanks of fuel?

2. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

I got mine back in Feb. of this year, so i'd say its got somewhere close to 50 hrs on it...maybe a little less. But I have noticed a power increase for about 2
    months now! I figured it probably got broke in really well somewhere around 30 hrs or so.

ps: where are you guys located in NC?

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Envy, we have 5 of them. I never really noticed a "break in point" in any of them. All of them seemed to run like the dickens right out of the gate IMO.

4. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I also did not notice a break in period, though this does not mean there isn't one.

I have noticed that there have been no electric eels living in my blower and shocking me this season so far (knock wood).

I think Richard Martin mentioned something about static elec and air movement in a thread last year, maybe it's been more humid.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Hummm..... ???:confused:

Well, looks like the rain is starting to slack off some.
    Might go see about racking up some more engine hours.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I didn't get in enough run time in the wet to tell anything about that.

I might just do one or two jobs tomorrow just to see because there's been plenty of rain.
    Don't know rather I will for sure or not. Just depends on rather I want to tomorrow.

This 8001 is a big improvement over the 8000 'design and build wise'.
    I'm just not feeling amazed by it's blowing power yet.

Don't get me wrong, it's a top-tier blower for sure.
    But frankly I was expecting more... something over the top...
    Something "wow" beyond the BR600 and PB-751.

So far I'm not seeing that for the most part.
    Well, except it blows such a wide swath...
    And it IS amazing on big leaves and "wow" on big piles once they build up.

Also, the engine seems to make amazing power. I mean you can feel it twist/rock on your back... like the feel you get in a muscle car when you rev a big-block V-8.

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Wrikens 8000 broke down again yesterday and he went and bought a new br600. I don't think it has as much power but it sure is comfortable and easy to use.

8. brothers lawn care

brothers lawn care LawnSite Member

i just got a 7001 figured in florida we dont blow leaves or do clean ups to the scale you guy's up north do but i got plenty of power with mine 62cc's of roaring 2 cycle , but i have about only 5 hrs on it as of yesterday... but its awsome...dethacher lol

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Just outside Raleigh here.

I've had two 8000's and neither one got a real "break-in". As with all my handhelds, I just always let each one warm-up for a minute or so and then let'er rip. I have two-stroke stuff that have over five years hard use and they still have excellent power and plenty of compression. :)

10. Envy Lawn Service

What I'm meaning is that some engines are fuel sucking slugs on power at first.
    Once the break in they really pick up in power and ease up on fuel.

So what I was getting at is rather or not this big engine gets stronger or not.
    Some don't seem to 'power-up' after some hours, some do.