Redmax 8001 vs. 8000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Redmax 8000 blower that put my Little Wonder walk behind blower into retirement... the 8000 was the ticket for fall cleanups... it blew like no other blower I had ever owned (and I've owned them all!).

When it was stolen off my trailer about a month and a half ago, I ordered a new Redmax 8001 (was told it was the enhanced replacement for the 8000). Well it is a joke compared to the 8000 that I owned... the torque on the 8000would tip you to the side when you throttled up, and you could blow debris 40feet out in front of you. The 8001, on the other hand, is O.K. but nothing like the power of the 8000.

My question... is this the same experience others have had when going from the 8000 to the 8001? If so, is there a fix? I am just very dissappointed, and dread bringing the Little Wonder out of retirement this leaf season.
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

You will need to run some tanks of gas through it, then they get more power and run better.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My 8000 definitely has more power than my 8001 but not enough to fret over. If it gets stolen or breaks, I'll get another 8001 without a second thought.
  4. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you guys paying for the 8001's? All I've used is Echo 650-750's.
  5. turfcaster

turfcaster LawnSite Member

Did you take the baffle or whatever out of the muffler? When I used RedMax years ago, I had to do that to almost all new RM 2-cycle gear.

Sometimes the blowers would run great for a while and slowly start bogging,some would start doing it almost immediately.

Their small hedgetrimmers and their chainsaws were the same way.

They all ran fine after taking the baffle or whatever its called out.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

The spark arrestor. And yes, I take them out of every two-stroke equipment I buy the moment I purchase them.
  7. turfcaster

turfcaster LawnSite Member

lawnspecialties, I am pretty sure we do too come to think of it.

When I help on the maintenance crew, I always grab my old favorites. I hardly ever grab the new gear.

We use Stihl exclusively these days ,so we dont get new gear often.

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Due to the design of RedMax's very high performance engines it is usually required to run anywhere between 5-10 tanks of fuel through them to wake them up.

I've got LCOs with both the 8000 and 8001 units, once the 8001 gets broken it, you'll see it is right there with the older 8000. Pulling the exhaust screens does seem to help also.
  9. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

As one of my almost 2 year old Redmax 8000s has spent most of the year in the shop--short-blocked twice--my dealer has procured me a new 8001, courtesy of RM.

It will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference after a few tanks of go-juice.
  10. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

Jsaunders, Stick with your Echos. I got a 8001 after all the raves on Lawnsite and after 50 tankfulls my 6 year old Echo 650's will still out blow it!