redmax again

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by vipermanz, May 6, 2004.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

when i am trying to start the engine, it almost seems like it is running in reverse order. with the block with no carb or muffler and rotating the engine will a power drill, any starter fluids i spray in come out the intake port. i am still waiting on the new coil so i can't fire it yet, i am using the weak old one just until.

So, should i get a compression tester, new rings or an honing brush??

thanks

joey

2. vipermanz

anything??????????

3. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Why are you trying to start it without a carb or muffler? Why are you using a drill? Go to your Redmax dealer and get a repair manual. There is also no need for starting fluid and not a good idea as there is no lubrication with starting fluid.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

As far as starting fluid goes I will not use in on any thing unless it is a do or die type deal. Now there will be those who say I am stretching the truth here but I have seen it happen. If you use starting fluid too often it will turn an engine in to a "drug addict" and it will not start for nothing unless you use starting fliud. You buy a can this week and next week it is two cans and before you know it you are buying it by the case. Now I do have a can but very rarely ever use it. I use a spary bottle with gas when an engine does a little help. And on turning the motor with a drill are you sure you are turing it the right way?

5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

An engine will indead become a "crackhead" and addicted to starting fluid. A 2 cycle needs to have good compression, a good case seal and good crank seals in order to pull fuel from the carb into the cylinder. It has to have differential case pressure in order to make the diaphram in the carb work. the more you use starting fuid, the more the cyclinder is scored, the lower the compression. hence, it needs a more volitile mixture to ignite and run. Once its running, yur ok for the most part. Its the "cold" starts where this really comes into play.

6. vipermanz

i got it put back together, with the new coil, tryed that and still no luck , it seems to have a weak spark still, i am using the drill in the correct rotation but when it's trying to start puffs of the fuel are coming out the intake of the carb.

any help appreciated!!!

7. vipermanz

ugghhh low compression syndrome, gonna order new piston and rings next

8. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I'd tear it down and inspect the cylinder first. If its trashed, no sense ordering a piston and rings.

9. vipermanz

i lightly honed then polished it, but the piston does have damage

10. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Don't waste your time. You can't hone and polish these cylinders. Do yourself a favor and do the whole upper end and be done with it and be sure to use all new gaskets. If its worth doing its worth doing right.