1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

RedMax BC225DL Wet air filter/hard to start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Korey, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

The gas/oil mix is leaking out of the carb on my RedMax trimmer, causing a wet air filter and hard starting. I think it's the outer ring on the carb that needs replacing, but wanted to check and see what you guys thought. It takes about 6-10 pulls to get it started as opposed to 2-3. ;) Thanx.

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Clean or rebuild carb.Sounds like trash in needle valve or needle valve not seating. This will cause the flooding .
  3. Korey

Carb is clean and trimmer's only been used lightly for the past couple of years. It's in very good condition.

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Also check for cracked fuel line at the carb but if it is leaking from the mouth of the carb it just about has to be the needle and seat .
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

How does it run once it starts?
  6. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Flooding , doesn't matter how old it is. I have had brand new out of the box flood on me in front of customer. Have had to clean and make sure inlet needle seated properly. Found stiff diaphragm keeping metering lever depressed in one case, and this was straight from the distributor.

Clean and reassemble.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I see that problem with the Echo 230 from time to time....comes and goes. I wonder if it is a pressure build up due to heat. Echo doesn't have anyway to relieve the pressure. I noticed it more when trimmer was horizontal. Sorry don't have a fix.
  8. Korey

Took the carb apart and cleaned it out. Worked great for a while- no flooding until a couple of weeks later. Problem comes and goes- sometimes it's so bad that when I pick it up before I even pull start the engine, it's dripping gasoline!