Redmax BCZ 2401

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scoopumup, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Scoopumup

Scoopumup LawnSite Member

Ok, I purchased a Redmax 2401 trimmer yesterday and have a few concerns. Is the 2401 a new product, because all i see on the previous threads are the 2400 -or is it simply in the 2400 series??

Also, I seem to be having some trouble warm starting it. If I try to start it again about a half hour after running it, it doesn't want to start - I have to go through the cold start procedure every time -- prime, start in choke and let die, then open it up and start. Anyone else having this problem? Also, it takes a while to warm up once it is started. I have to let it idle for 10 seconds or so before pulling the throttle, or else it dies.

Lastly, it seems to vibrate more than I had hoped.

Is anyone else out there having these same symptoms??

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I've only seen the 2400 as we have a couple of them. I can tell you that they are a "couple" model years old and to my knowledge RM doesn't produce this model any more as to the 2401 I have never seen or heard of it. Maybe it is a Non-Commercial" model?? or and Older Stock??

and Yes the 2400's we have also are harder to start at start-up....but in all fairness they are only on the trailers as back-ups thus they are rarely used.

3. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I asked Redmax about this and that is what they said...the next thing you should do is take that thing back to the dealer and get your money back...if they do not, call Redmax and demand your money back...when I demoed the 2400 the rep started it for me and had a hard time...now that was a bad first impression of the product...go buy a Stihl 110R...forget about the 4-mix bashing (valve adjustment this, valve adjustment that--more moving parts this, more moving parts that--bla, bla, bla, bla, bla)...the Stihl does not vibrate even at 10,500 RPM...it is better than the Redmax Strato junk in gasoline usage...it is very quiet...

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

As a Redmax dealer, I have never seen or heard of a 2401 trimmer. It must be really new, as our distributor rep. has not mentioned it. I would take it back and get a good old 2400 to replace it. I never recommend purchacing a new model in the first year, no matter what brand it is.
    Redmax has some of the finest, best engineered, handheld machines on the market. They beat the Stihl 4 mix hands down in performance and ease of maintenance.
    We have had several commercial guys who were dedicated Stihl users, switch to Redmax in the last year. Three had already purchased a Stihl 4 mix machine. They came by our store, looked at the Redmax equivilant of what they had bought, bought the Redmax, and then took the Stihl back within the free return period.
    The Strato-Charged engines are a little cold natured for the first 30 - 45 seconds after startup, but after that, they run smooth and strong. I have owned all the major brands of handheld equipment, but after trying a Redmax machine, I never went back to another brand. I liked their product so much, I became a dealer.
    Just had a thought. I did hear that Redmax had so many EPA "pollution credits", that they were going to use those credits to build some low dollar, non compliant, non Strato-charged machines. This may be what you have.
    I would still take it back.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We just purchased a split boom 2500,when it came in the model# was exz 2401 the redmax dealer thinks it is the same trimmer.

6. dcplace2004

and they will tell you about the 2401...reps know about just as much as the dealer many times about most things...I spoke with Dave AT REDMAX about the 2401 and he said that it was the new emissions model above the 2400...but, frankly, I am not wasting anymore of my time with redmax, even with the 2 year warranty...a two year warranty means nothing if one has to wait 3 to 4 weeks to get their machine repaired...

7. dcplace2004

and it will happen, as the EPA will require it...better get your super loud dinosaur machines while you can!

8. Scoopumup

Scoopumup LawnSite Member

Just talked to Redmax over the phone and they said the 2401 is the same as the 2400, just with the new emmisions whatnot added on. He assured me that it will run just as good as the 2400. As for the cold natureness of it, he said that is how the strato engines are, and it's normal. Same thing goes for the long "warming up" period.

He also said that the 2401 just came out about 90 days ago, so that is probably why not many of you have heard of it.

Hopefully it runs like a gem for years to come, if not, i guess I have the 2 year warranty to fall back on.

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

My Redmax equipment is the best I have ever owned, bar none. Once you learn how to properly start them (read the owners manual), life is so much simpler and productive. BTW, I have Echo and Stihl equipment that I use as backups and this is for a reason.

10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a BCZ2600s and a BCZ2400S, and I have experienced the slow starting process that you spoke of. It always seems to take 30 seconds or so to get warmed up before it is ready to go.