Redmax blower and trimmer.......strange problems.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2k1yzfr1, Oct 20, 2005.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Redmax 7001 blower and a 2500 trimmer that have been causing me hell. For some reason whenever they sit for 20-30 mins between yards and then try to restart them they surge, die and barely run. Now on to the WTF part of the problem..........they both run perfect in the mornings when it is cooler, in the afternoons like right now it is in the high 80's it runs horrible. They have been down at Landscape Supply 2-3 times and run PERFECT when they are there. Yesterday they ran great for the first 5 yards until about 12-1 when they started surging. I mowed 3 yards with them running bad each with about 20-25 mins of downtime inbetween. At the last yard I hauled ass to my brothers through the blower and trimmer in the back of his truck and went to the shop. I waited exactly 25 mins and started them up and they ran excellent. Could the enclosed trailer have anything to do with this problem? My dealer and mechanic are getting a good laugh out of this I'm sure, but that is the ONLY thing I changed yesterday. All of my echo products that are sitting right there with them run perfect. BTW I start them the exact same each yard full choke 3-4 pumps on the primer. The only other varible that is changing throughout the day is the temperature.

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

you are not alone ! i have a redmax hand blower that has done this for years. runs perfect when weather is cooler . as soon as temp hits the eightes -same thing. hard to start and then dosnt want to run at anything above an idle. i am a very good small engine mech so i can assure i can find nothing wrong. i went to a trade show this year and informed the redmax guys about this and they were baffeled. its some kind of vapor lock issue and i even replaced the gas cap to no avvial. i deal with this by not using this blower in the summer and it always runs perfect all winter and spring. (no such thing as fall in florida) i have other redmax stuff that dosnt do this.

3. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Justin's case is a little different. He has 2 totally different pieces doing the same thing. Very strange;)

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

fuel a guess.

5. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Shindaiwa 2500 4 stroke with Walbro carburetor that had similar problems. The tech at Shindy told me it was an air leak problem, I had to disassemble and put some grease on a part of the carb to seal it better. Do a search on T2500 and you will find a post that described the solution. Hope this helps.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Sthil BG85 handheld blower that does EXACTLY what you are describing. Runs 100% perfect, UNLESS it's over 85 or 90 degrees out, then it takes an act of congress to get it to run right in under a couple minutes each time I try to start it. Iv'e tried fuel from different gas stations, using premium over reg. unleaded, spark plug, tune up from dealer... nothing worked.

Now that it's cooler again it's not an issue, but it sure is irritating when it's hot, which is like 70% of the season! If anyone has a fix let me know!!! The grease deal sounds interesting, but for a Sthil?

7. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try to haul them in the back of the truck between jobs,see if this works...air blowing around the bed...i would say dump some cold H20 on a rag and wrap it between jobs....but this will get old...looks like you are narrowing it down....have Travis ride with you???? He's not that busy.......:)

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

doubt its an air leak as why would iy run perfect when below 85 ? mine has been doing this for years. it has to be a vapor lock issue. i had a similar problem on a 21 inch mower and solved it by rerouting the fuel line away from the hot engine. this cant be done on these small engines

9. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

If you can't move the fuel line further from the engine, perhaps simply insulating the fuel line, by wrapping some foam insulation around the fuel line, will keep it from absorbing heat from the engine.

Perhaps you could test the vapor lock theory dabbing some ice on the suspect fuel line, while the engine is running badly, and see if it makes it run correctly?

10. BillWil

BillWil LawnSite Member

Had this problem with a chain saw, couldn't route the fuel line so it was not in close proximity to the engine and, or the muffler. A friend suggested running the fuel line inside a larger size line. That worked.