redmax blower very hard to start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenerdreams, Dec 21, 2005.

1. greenerdreams

greenerdreams LawnSite Member

I have a remax eb7000 that runs perfect.....once I can start it. It used to start fairly easy using the standard redmax routine: crack throttle/choke/prime/pull. Now if it hasn't been running very recently and has even slightly cooled down it will take maybe 5 minutes to get it started, if it starts at all. I am a very good mechanic and have worked on 2 strokes for a long time but can't figure it out. All gaskets are tight, spark arrester out since new. No carbon buildup on exhaust port. Good spark, good fuel filter and air filter, same fuel as all my other equipment that starts easy. Good compression, no cracked fuel lines.
    Is there a diaphragm in the carb that would only affect starting but not running condition?
    Is this a common problem with older redmax blowers? It is the only redmax I own . This problem forced me to go with echo 650's instead. All of our echos start very easy no matter how old they are.

2. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

i have a 7000 to wit the same problem i found out that it starts easier wit the more throttle u give it but my other redmax backpacks start wit 0 throttle i wonder if the primer wears out easier on them or fuel lines get clogged

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

With age our two Echo PB650 got hard to start Echo advised me to put a new adjustable carb on. That fixed my problem but I noticed I had to make adjustment when it got cold. There are to many variables for these fixed jet carb to overcome. I assume the Redmax doesn't have adj carb? On Echo trimmers the crankshaft seals harden and that affects starting but if you did compression check that would rule that out?

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm no mechanic, but it sounds like time for new gaskets in the carb.

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

sounds to me like you gotta rebuild the carb. I dont know why, but my PB4600 starts one pull cold. no lie, one pull. just prime and pull.

6. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

ah ha
    I've seen something like this befor.....

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This is VERY LIKELY the correct answer.

However, does your carb on the RedMax have limit caps on the adjustments that you can manage to remove without damage? That's what I did to my Echo stuff after much struggling to get the stubborn nature worked out. Mine would crank, but die if given any throttle. I had to start up and allow it to idle for a bit before even trying to give it any throttle.

Trained mechanics worked on mine many times to no avail, and so did I.
    I finally realized it was because we were all working within the same set of limitations.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

When you say that you did a compression check, did you hook it up to a gauge? If so what was the psi? Memory serves me correctly, it should be 130-160.

9. greenerdreams

greenerdreams LawnSite Member

Thanks you guys will all the advice I decided to tear into the unit one more time(today was a little slow, so I sent all the guys out and stayed at the shop). It turns out that when I pulled the carb, I looked at the choke unit and the metal hose to carb adapter had been slightly bent so the choke was essentially doing nothing when closed. I flattened it all out with a ballpeen and gave the choke lever a slight bend so it would have a strong seal. Starts right up now!!!

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Go figure, glad all is well now.