Redmax EB7001 locked up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ralph Wiggum, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Ralph Wiggum

Ralph Wiggum LawnSite Member
    from NY

I was running my blower today when it started to make a strange noise and started to run sluggish, The noise sounded like metal parts hitting eachother.. so i let it sit for like 30 min. and when i went to start it the pull cord was locked up.. This happened after i just refilled the tank with fuel.. Do you think the motor is blown?

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes, the engine is most likely locked up. Could be a broken ring, broken piston, or could be lower end bearing problems.
    Or, you could have sucked something, like a rag, into the impellor.
    However, my guess is engine problems. You have a 2 year warranty on that machine you know.
    We have repaired 3 locked up, RM 7001 blowers in the last 2 weeks. One was warranty. Two were running improper gas mix. As in no oil, or too little oil.

3. Ralph Wiggum

from NY

I bought this blower used off a guy last year so the warranty idea is out.. So what can i look for to see if its a blown motor?

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Pull the cylinder off and inspect the piston and rings. You can also check then, while it is apart, to see if the crankshaft has any wobble in it.

5. Ralph Wiggum

from NY

Thanks for the help, Ill check it out tomorrow..

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Easiest thing is pull the muffler and look in. If that looks clean proceed further. If it is all scored up...just stop and toss it in the junk pile.

7. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

The lower end bearings had problems. You might have one of those.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get decent money for odds and ends like the recoil starter, engine cover, gas tank, blower housing, straps, tubes.

9. ArchZangel

ArchZangel LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Pull off the recoil, and see if it is ok. How is your oil mix? What are the first 2 numbers on the serial? They should tell you the year. The lower bearing problem was taken care of in 05 or at least that's what the redmax rep told me! haha

10. Ralph Wiggum

from NY

I just went out to look at the blower and on the back it says manufactured in sept 2004....

I think i might have to bite the bullet and get a new one.. I got my redmax hedge trimmer from speedwaysales.com they had a pretty good price and it got here very fast

It sucks that i only got about 1 year out of that thing, i paid about 300 bucks for it and a few months ago i had to replace the coil...