Redmax EBZ 8000 FRAME Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Jan 18, 2007.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Just a quick note for all of you running these backpack blowers and all that have frames like them. Plastic gets brittle over time and plastic is even more brittle in the winter.
    I like using the blower when the snow is light enough and the other day I was going to use it for this function. As I pulled the throttle arm down I must have put a rotational force to it that it didn't like and I had the whole throttle lever in my hand and detatched from the frame. As I looked at it I can see that this is a situation meant to break. It is a plastic on plastic set up and 2 screws hold the throttle arm to the frame. My frame cracked at this connection. I did not check as to how much a frame replacement costs but I am thinking its not cheap.
    I fixed it with a 1/8" flat steel, a drill, grinder and a sawzall. The fix or prevention for you guys would cost you about 2 bucks. I basically attatched the flat bar to the plastic frame and then clamped the broken piece to the flat bar in its natural position. I drilled 2 holes to match and used the existing hardware to mount it back up. I will let you know how it works but I think it will be fine.
    Anyone ever break a frame?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

There is a piece of plastic between the arm and the actual "frame" of the unit. I have broken this piece before as many others have, too. From what I've gathered at my dealer, this was an almost common problem piece that has been fixed. Mine has not broken since. :)

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

These units have a full two year warranty. Take 'em in and have your dealer install the new frame. It should be n/c.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yep!!!!

You should be covered for an update to the new 'blow-molded' 8001 style frame.

More durable and more comfortable.

5. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Mine Broke as well. I didnt think of using flat stock to fix it. Does anyone have any idea on what one of those frames costs?

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

My dealer said almost every unit he ever sold broke the frame, he wont sell any more 8000's

7. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

Mow ed, it's a piece of crap! mine broke also. I'm going to check with the dealer.

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

And mine too..... zero dollars out of pocket for the new frame and repair.