Redmax EBZ8000 blower vs Echo PB650

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jun 22, 2005.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had an Echo PB650 blower for the past 3 years. I like it a lot but was thinking about upgrading to the Redmax EBZ8000 blower. I had an opportunity to demo this unit but surprisingly, it did not seem to be anymore powerful than the PB650. So, I looked at the specs on both units and found this:

[U]PB650[/U]
    63.3 cc engine
    210 mph air speed
    640 CFM at the pipe
    1200 CFM in the housing.
    71 Decibals
    These figures came out of my owners manual.

[B]Redmax EBZ8000[/B]
    71.9 cc engine
    203 mph air speed
    688 CFM at the pipe
    943 CFM in the housing
    78 Decibals.
    These figures came from the website for Redmax, where you can download the product manuals.

The figures seem very close. Now I would like to get some input from people who own or have tried both units as to whether it is worth it to upgrade.
    Thanks.

2. aees115

aees115 LawnSite Member

man i would stay as far away from echo as you can. redmax lasts alot longer and is a more powerful piece

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Difference is Significant...I Have the Redmax 7001...8000...Stihl 420...400 and Echo 650..750.

In Order

Redmax 8000 (Bad Boy)
    Echo 650/750
    Redmax 7001

v
    v
    v
    v
    v

Stihl 400/420's

redmax8000.jpg

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

And I wouldn't trade it for an Echo..I also dissagree with Kelvin^^^.. I've used the Echo 751 and it is NOT quite as powerful as the 7001 I have. But I will admit the 8000 is stronger than any.. It's a Hoss..

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I had a stihl 550 and i'll agree with unfareway that the stihl's suck.

I now have a 651 echo and its great, no problems at all, starts first pull all the time, comfy fit too. It's plenty powerful enough for me, i had to blow a bunch of leaves on one property the other day and it did it fast, faster then i thought it would. I just didn't want to spend the extra 100 on the 8000.

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I never noticed that the 8000 only makes 688 cfm at the pipe, I always thought it was the 943 at the pipe which would be very powerful. Now I don't feel bad about saving the 100 and going with the 651 which makes 60 less cfm (not much) and more air speed then the 8000.

7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a 650 that is at least 4 yrs old, beat to hell and then some and it still starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. I also have a 651 that I bought last year that has run flawlessly. There is a flat spot at about 1/8 throttle that both machines vibrate some but who runs their blower at just above idle? Neither of these blowers vibrate anymore than a BR420 or PB-400E.

8. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about a RedMax, and that is why I bought mine and I'm damn happy!

9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

The Redmax weights 24.9, the Echo 651 weighs 24.4 according to their websites.

10. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

PROCUTSLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I have had my PB650 for going on the 4th season and NO Problems what so ever. In fact, I have only changed the plug and the air filter. 60 yards a week and still going strong. 1-2 pulls in the morning and 1 pull all day long. You guys bad mouth such a great product, it is so sickening to read. Echo has been around for quite some time, so they must be good? I can count over 7 of the major Lawncare Co. in the city here that run Echo blowers and trimmers. They all have had nothing but awesome service. I feel bad for the echo dealer here, cause the poor guy never makes any money on repair work....

Major LCO's Not to mention the small guys that run the cheaper home depot echo's and still have nothing but great service. Maybe we have had good products come from the factory or got lucky with good peices???? Or maybe we just know how to mix fuel the right way and keep our Eq. in good shape???