1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

RedMax EBZ8500 review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by A+Grounds, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I wouldn't say a lot more usable air, but rather, a difference in how it's applied. I don't know what model Stihl the other posted used, but I run them side by side (My Husky, and Stihl) and there's a definate difference between them. The Stihl is a wolf in sheeps clothing. I would be willing to bet good coin that those who don't like Stihl 600's have little time with one in real world conditions, or just assume that they are weaker because of their sound.

My review will be fair and unbiased. I see no need to promote one brand over another just because I may own that one. I could have bought any blower I wanted whe I bought this last one, but I went with the Husky for several reasons that I'll cover in the review. In other words, I'm not particularly brand loyal.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have a lot of tricky spots to blow that make using the wheel blower cumbersome, strenuous and tiring.

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I hear you but you just can't beat a wheeled blower for wet leaves!

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

It's really hard to argue with that since they are so powerful, but the latest generation of big BP's makes them a lot less useful than they used to be. I have yet to see any wet leaves, even in large number that I can't move handily with either the 600M, or the Husky 570. I used them exclusively this fall for leaf clean ups BTW, so I got a lot of good demo time behind them.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  5. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Agreed.

With apologies to the original poster I own a 13 hp billygoat wb blower. I think wb blowers would be much more useful if the engine/blower housing was rotated 90 degrees on the frame so that the air discharge came out the front. Then put a swivel "tube" that rotated 180 degrees on the air discharge. May be hard to execute this idea though.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

That's funny, because I have thought the same thing when looking at some of the new ones lately. I saw a youtube video of a tractor 3 pt mounted unit that did that, and it was sweet.

7. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Billygoat now has a blower that mounts on the front of a z. It uses this concept.

8. A+Grounds

A+Grounds LawnSite Member

ill be looking out for your review

9. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

The redmax holds a bit more @ ~76 oz while the shidy holds ~68 oz but 15 to 20 minutes on a cup of difference??

10. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

no plans at present to get an 8500 but if the company continues to grow as we have a need for additional bp blowers I will definitely entertain the 8500. We love everything about the shindy 854 except the fuel usage and it is by far and away the hardest starting piece of equipment I have ever owned.