Redmax Edger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nick17, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

Am I the only one interested in Redmax edger HE225F? I searched, and only my threat came up.

Are these edgers just not worth $279?

The most I can spend is $279.. what in your opinion is the best edger under that? I have read mixed reviews about almost every edger, and would like to keep this threat strickly to edgers in my price range.

Thanks,

-Nick

2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Is this the straight shaft or curved - for 279 im betting curved. I have the straight shaft with the strato charge and I have used it and abused it with no break downs for close to 4 years now. I really like it, but If you could afford more I would go with the stihl 4mix edger - cause they start up so fricking easy and are so powerfull. Dont get me wrong the redmax has a lot of power, but some days it a pita getting that redmax to start, it seems to flood easy. My stihl weed 4mix I dont even choke, and it starts on one pull.

3. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

I doubt it. My parent's have been exceptional on helping me out.

Here's the quick story. I actually put a add in the newspaper looking for yard work and yard maintenance, but it turned out I got more calls for lawn maintenance than anything else. So I decided to jump into the lawn business this year and it has been quite successful for me, even though I jumped in, in the middle of the year.

Neither of my parents are successful *sigh* and I am assuming they want me to be successful and are helping me out. We had some money issues when my mom had surgery and I had to pay some bills monthly and never had a real chance to save. I guess this is the way of "paying me back".

I am a exceptionally hard worker and strive for perfection on everything I do. And my dad is there on every cut to make sure I did a good job.

After purchasing a new mower, blower and trimmer, I am on very limited funds as of right now. Trying to save for a nice trailer, larger WB and license next Feb.

To answer your question it is curved, the smallest model they make.

Thanks for the reply barringtonbrothers!

-Nick

4. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Nick I just want to tell you that is a very good thing you did helping your parents out with the bill and I wish you the best of luck. You might want to see if the ryobi stright shaft trimmer/ edger is more affordable. I used the 2cycle one for three years as much as I do my redmax. Its a really good peice of equipment, and doubles as a weed eater. The only thing I ever did to it was rebuild the carb. 20 bucks. Plus when you can afford it you can buy all the other attachements for it.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, it will probably work for awhile, But if your really tryin' to save coin: Getteth thyself to your local Pawnbroker and accuire an Old school walkbehind edger ( Garage sles work too) You can usually score one for @$50 and if you find a good brand like a kees or mclane or the King of WB edgers a Whipper clipper ( doubt you'll find one of them, let alone for 50) you'll do great. one thing to note.. Make sure you get one with the blade on the left( when viewed from the handles). IF it 's in good shape and you heep a good belt on it they will even establish an edge where astick edger usually is more work. Yes they are cumbersome and heavy, But it'll get you buy untill you can cough up the dough for a bad dude stick edger like the stihl or a big redmax.. Btw, practice edging with your trimmer now, it's a skill you should learn even if you always have an edger. If your edger dies you can still work if ya got trimmer edgin' skills.... Hope this helps.

6. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

Tried all local pawn shops and found nothing but over-priced junk. Echo blowers for $200+ and I couldn't't even tell it was an Echo until I asked.

I'm not really trying to save coin-for-coin, just trying to do the best I possibly can with the money I'm allotted. At LEAST 4-5 accounts have numerous beds they wan't trimmed, and couldn't't imagine dragging a 50lb trimmer around to do those beds. I'm defiantly going stick.

I found a older mclane for about $175 and a whipper clipper for $225.. both at least 7-8 years old.

Is there no stick edger under $279 that's worth buying? That's what I'm trying to ask..

Thanks for the replies guys,

-Nick

7. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

try the echo pe 200, thats what i use and its been pretty good. Not the most powerful by any means but it definitely gets the job done. $200

8. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

OK, I'm gonna say the "S" word ... Sears has a 4-stroke 34cc straight shaft trimmer on sale for $169, and you can get the edger attachment for another $45, or $50 bucks. I just saw it in the paper, but I don't own, or endorse it ... maybe someone here has experience with it.

PS. You sound like a good kid, I'm sure your parents are proud & I know that they are successful ... they did a fine job raising you.