Redmax & Edgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by i_plant_art, May 31, 2006.

1. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

What is the difference between having a curved shaft edger vs. a straight shaft edger? I burned up my edger today so i need to replace it asap. I knew it was coming so ive been doing some shopping around lately and have been leaning towards redmaxbut am still open if anyone has any suggestions. I called the dealer today and got pricing the only difference b/t the two 2500 series edgers is the curved or straight shaft. SO what the big difference with it being straight or curved..... in price its only like $40 ... no big deal.... just wondering before i made the purchase.
  2. guven

guven LawnSite Member

Yesterday bought curved shaft husky stick edger , I did not like it. I gave it back today. My trimmer is doing much better job. I also wondering strait shaft . how they are? I do not know. but curved shaft is not good, maybe I am left hand therefore I could not use it very good.
  3. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

The straight shaft is probably a solid shaft so you can take the edger head off and put on a trimmer head for example.
  4. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You made a post about stick edgers whenever you were in your other form.
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Well i have the mid model Rexmax, a 2005 model i got later last year. Its the 26cc version, im sure its a "bent shaft" model which is cable driven. They do make something similar with an actuall alloy shaft of some sort, but im unsure of the benefits in an edger. I know my 30cc redmax trimmer/brushcutter is a straitshaft "gear shaft" inside but thats because it needs something solid in case your using a blade and hit something hard like a tree and the blade stops suddenly from 7000rpms.

I like mine though, powers through walks pretty easy.