Redmax gear box shot. what trimmer to get?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Nov 22, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I brougt my redmax trimmer to the dealer to see about the problems with the shaft and gear box. He said it needs a new gear box and might need some other work. He priced the gearbox at $90 without the labor and whatever else is wrong with it. It makes me mad because I spend over 300 on it thinking I'm getting a indestructable unit. But I guess I'm wrong. If anybody wants it, let me know. Besides the work needed it is in great condition and has a strong engine. It's a bcz2600s.

What trimmer should I now get? I have never owned a cable or flex shaft unit. Are they just as good and easier to repair than the steel shaft? I was thinking of the stihl fs80r, echo srm210, or maybe a maruyama. I want something good but affordable. Any suggestions and advice are welcomed.

Scott

2. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Is the trimmer more than 2 years old? I thought they had two year warranties on the Red Max. I've got three of them including a new 2600. Put coils in the first two after many years of service but that was all.

3. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

I'll take that trimmer off your hands if you don't want it. I'm in Gonzales, not too far from you.

4. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

You might want to look at Shindiawa, T261 - I have had several with absolutely zero problems, engine or shaft related, they also come with the Speed-Feed head standard now, and have a blade capable model.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

But request the T260.

6. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The Stihl FS80R is a powerful unit that runs nice. I have 6 of them and like them. Light and no problems with the cable drive plus it comes with a lifetime shaft warranty.

7. S man

Sure just bring $175 with you.

Yes I am leaning towards all stihl. Can the echo 210, or 230 compare to the fs80r?

8. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The FS80R is 25.4 cc and over 1hp.
    The 210 is 21cc under 3/4 hp even though they don't list hp on web or brochure and 230 is 22 cc unit.
    Also the Stihl has a three shoe clutch with lifetime warranty.
    Echo, Red Max, Shindaiwa, Kawi, two shoe clutch no life warranty.
    I am probably not a lot of help to some people because I only run Stihl products. But they are powerful and last so I see no need to switch and my dealer has always taken care of me.
    Good luck

9. S man

Yes I see. But kawi and shin to my knowledge do have lifetime staft warranties. I seem sold on the fs80. Might get it before the mowing season next year.

10. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Scott

Couple of questions to help understand the problem. We have same trimmer that has been in use for one season for light trimming (no heavy weeds or brush cutting) and have been pleased with it so far. Any idea on estimated use time before the gear box failure? Did you add grease to the gearbox through the zerk fitting.

Couple of other thoughts, check to make sure the warranty has expired before using your own money. Now that we are going into non-use season, if your comfortable wrenching you might take the cover off to see what is wrong. Possibly a few internal parts and could fix for much less.

Wayne