Redmax hand blower 2600 or 2601?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jul 29, 2007.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

My dealer only sells the 2601 hand held redmax blower now. I might want to get one so is the 2601 still good or should I get the original 2600 online at mowpart or speed way? Advice please.

2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought the 2601 recently. The specs looked the same to me, so I interpreted that to mean the 2600 wasn't being manufactured any more. I'd rather have the latest rather than last year's model. The 2601 seems to do what I want it to, but of course it doesn't compare to my other Redmax, an EB7001. But it's much lighter, easier to handle, and burns a lot less fuel. I doubt if I'd try to use it for blowing leaves, but it's fine for getting grass clippings off the walks and driveway.

3. S man

hmmm. But doesn't the new model have more epa regs on it?? I bet it's more powerful than my echo pb403.

4. LarryF

Well, the Redmax site states that the 2601 has "EPA Phase II / CARB Tier II Certified", whatever that means. That same site doesn't mention the 2600 any more, so I don't know whether or not this is something new with the 2601.

I haven't used the pb403, but I wouldn't bet on the 2600 or 2601 being more powerful. The pb403 is a backpack (44cc/800cfm/175mph), and I think it cost about a hundred bucks more than the Redmax 2601. The specs for the hand-held 2600 and 2601 are 25.4cc/367cfm/157mph, so they don't come close to the pb403 numbers.

5. S man

Hmmn. Yeah well I'm going to keep to the echo. It's been two years with zero problems.

6. smooth cut

smooth cut LawnSite Member

According to the RedMax website the noise level on the 2600 is 69 dB(A) while the noise level on the 2601 is 72 dB(A). I wonder what changed to make the newer model a bit noisier? Both are EPA Phase II / CARB Tier II Certified. Do either of these models have 'cruise control' like the Stihl BG85?

7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I might want to get one so is the 2601 still good or should I get the original 2600 online at mowpart or speed way? Advice please.[/QUOTE]

I talked to a dealer named Scott at mowpart yesterday and he told me that frankly, he could care less about whether I ordered from mowpart or not because he has 500 other orders in front of him and they dont need my business. Im happy for them but Im done withem too.

8. LarryF

If you are asking me, I don't know what 'cruise control' for a blower means. If it's another way of saying the speed can be set to a fixed rate and operated without continually squeezing the throttle trigger like can be done on the Redmax EB7001, the answer is no for the HBZ2601. That one has a spring-loaded trigger to control the speed, and when the trigger is released, the engine slows down. So does the EB7001, of course, but on that one there is a cam which allows the trigger to be temporarily locked in a chosen position.

I don't have a clue as to why the published noise levels are not the same, but the HBZ2601 doesn't seem especially loud to me.

9. smooth cut

smooth cut LawnSite Member

Yes, cruise control would be a trigger lock.

10. S man

Just bringing up the thread. I'm probably going to get the 2601. Good choice?