Redmax Hard To Pull

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by vg92, Aug 22, 2011.

1. vg92

vg92 LawnSite Member

Just bought a new Redmax stick edger from a dealer via mail order. Every time when I try to start it, I feel a lot of resistance while pulling the rope. It appears the rope is released inch-by-inch as the piston moves up and down. I currently have other 2-cycle equipment from Kawasaki, Shindaiwa and Echo, none of them behaves like this Redmax. Is this some characteristics of the “Strato-charged” engine or the unit is defective? After it’s started, however, it works fine with lots of torque and the engine sounds normal. Would like to hear what others think before taking this to a local dealer.

Thanks in advance.

2. RickyDL77

RickyDL77 LawnSite Senior Member

we have had redmax for at least 8 years now, they do tend to have slightly more compression with the reed valve (strato-charged) system when starting for the first couple of days. it usually goes away or the guys just get used to it, not really sure. if it feels really out of the ordinary then its a possibility the reed valves have stuck closed due to gummin of fuel but it rarely happens and hardly runs when it does. how many hours might the machine have?

3. vg92

vg92 LawnSite Member

Ricky, it’s brand new.

Edged for maybe 20 minutes after I got it started the first time. I’m a homeowner, not a pro. Just want to mention that I didn’t use Redmax oil, not sure if that would make a difference. It was mixed at 50:1 ratio using 89 octane gas. I use the same fuel in all other 2-cycle machines and they run absolutely fine.

If that’s something unique to Redmax, I’d wait until I’ve edged a few times to see any improvement. Thanks for the response so far.

4. RickyDL77

RickyDL77 LawnSite Senior Member

as long as the power is good i would not worry to much about it. Redmax oil is not neccessary, just needs to be a premium oil with the correct labeling.

5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

While the strato may make a big difference too, I think it is probably an issue of being new and tight. I reckon it will loosen up a little as it breaks in. Are you using the same technique as you would a chainsaw? Push the unit away from you with one arm as you pull the rope with the other. That may help too.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  6. vg92

vg92 LawnSite Member

I hold it down firm on the ground with one arm and pull the rope with the other. Will try your method this weekend.

7. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll want to balance the head on the wheel at an angle that the blade will be off the ground when it starts

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

just a ? , did you call the dealer you got it from and ask them at all?

9. vg92

vg92 LawnSite Member

Not yet. I figured you guys know more than the dealer anyway. :)

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I just asked, because I was not aware that Husqvarna released RedMax for online sales.