1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redmax HBZ2601- Opinions Needed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscape89, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Little slow to get going (cold blooded at first) but works real well when up to temp.
  3. simsfarm

simsfarm LawnSite Member

My 2601 is a lot cold blooded - starts on first pull, but won't take any gas until its warmed up for a couple of minutes - even then it doesn't want to go to full throttle. Had it back to dealer who says they are cold natured. Its going back tomorrow for another try!
  4. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I think Redmaxman on this site has one. Pm him or search through his posts.
  5. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

welcome to redmax strato charged equipment. based on my experience and at the risk of sounding very negative i will outline what to expect out of your handheld. you will go through several carbs with the dealer telling you its the gas, oil, mixture ect....then next thing you know you will have a broken ring and your dealer will be placing the blame on you again. we went though that warm up period every time we cranked up......
  6. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had none of the negative experiences mentioned above. I'm just a homeowner, so I don't run mine long, but I've been firing it up every day for the last couple of months. That's because now that the weather is warm, I do a lot of woodworking in my garage, and it's ideal for blowing out the sawdust. And of course I also use it a couple of times a week for clearing grass clippings from the walks and driveway after mowing both my own property and my daughter's. I don't even have to use the primer bulb when starting it. One pull, even when cold, and it starts. I have to be fast with the choke lever, however. If I'm not, it'll die and I'll have to give it a second pull. That doesn't seem like a big deal, and I feel it's my fault, not the machine's. I'd say it takes about 10 seconds to warm up before I can run it at full speed. Therefore, I have no concept of the problems the others above are referring to. I wish my Husqvarna chain saw would start as easily, but it never has and I doubt if it ever will. I also have a Redmax EB7001 and a Stihl string trimmer. They start easily too, but not like the HBZ2601.
  7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah I'm curious too because I'm really close to getting one. I asked my dealer to order one. I didn't pay anything yet though. The other dealer tried to make me pay it up front including $20 buck for shipping. I don't think so........ I called up my dealer and they ordered for me. It will be in next week sometime.
  8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

This weekend was the first time I have had problems with mine. As LarryF has experienced, it has always started well and warmed up quickly, but I developed a method for that. From start up I gradually increase the throttle, giving it as much as it will take without bogging until it is at full throttle. Then a few seconds at full throttle and it will be able to idle and accelerate quickly. This weekend though it bogged and died and took some choking and restarting to clear it out. I feel it was due to gas mix that is about three weeks old. I will know tomorrow when I mix some new stuff up and will post back. I have four other stratocharged units and none of them ever give a lick of trouble, and they all warm up faster than the handheld blower. I am a little dissapointed in the blower now, but really do feel it is due to the cruddy gas we are paying so dearly for.
  9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Mine is a bit cold blooded as well at initial cold starts, but warms up in 10~15 sec... I sure wish it had a cruise control to keep the rpm's constant...a nice feature that my Echo has.

The newer gas caps have a plastic retaining ring that fits into the tank for anchoring/keeping the cap from getting lost. Twice now I have found the fuel line wrapped around it...only after wondering why it would run for a few seconds then die. An easy fix...and I'm frankly surprised it doesn't end up happening more often.

Great blower overall...it moves a lot of air for a handheld, IMO.
  10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Do you have the 2600 or the 2601? They look like they have the same specs but I heard the newer one has more epa crap on it.