Redmax Issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rangr25, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Rangr25

Rangr25 LawnSite Member

I have a redmax trimmer and edger there both the same engines and both have the same problems...

The trimmer model number is BCZ2600S i dont know the edger off the top of my head but im pretty positive there the same engine size and its a straight shaft.... but anyway ever since day one when these machines are started up and after giving it any gas they both just die and shut off. Also after sitting all winter i went to start up the edger this year and it starts just fine but i let it sit for over a half hour just letting it run and warm up and went to pull the throttle and what do you know it dies. the edger is still brand new i have only put one tank of gas in it so i have no idea why its giving me such problems but im not real satisfied with the redmax trimmer and edgers so far.

If anyone else has had these problems and or has any ideas to cure this problem i would greatly appreciate it!

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Fuel mixture is off? Sounds like it's either not getting enough gas to run with throttled up. How does it sound when at idle?

3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Once they warm up do they stay running? Has your dealer looked at them?

4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

you let it idle for half an hour!!!

Do you mean you start both cold, right away you give gas and they die. If you let them idle for a little then pull the throtle, they are ok? What is the position of the choke?

I aways let my stuff warm up for 30 seconds before I pull the throtle. I alway open my choke before I give it gas.

5. Rangr25

Rangr25 LawnSite Member

when they just are sitting there at idle they sound like a charm and then as soon as i try to use them unless there sitting for a few minutes they fall flat on there face and quit.

6. Rangr25

Rangr25 LawnSite Member

yeah once they finally get going they run real nice i just wish they didnt take so long to get warmed up cause by the time they are at there peak im already done with the property. and i havent taken them to the dealer yet just trying to figure out what it might be before i go somewhere and have a dealer try to pull something on me

7. Rangr25

Rangr25 LawnSite Member

yeah i only let the edger sit for a half hour cause im just getting everything out and going for the season so i wanted to let it idle for a while. But yeah when i start both cold i have to let them sit for ever or just feather the trigger when im using it so it doesnt die on me and then by the time im done with a job i can finally hold it wide open... as for the choke if they even need to be choked i always open it once there started and have a good idle

8. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

My Echo seem to want half choke after first start for 30 seconds then open. My Honda want the choke open as fast as I can after it starts. Everyone seems to have it's own habit!!! Try experiment with the choke. With the new CARB II they run very lean, you might try half choke at the begining. just remember to open all the way when it is warm. The two cycles is funny, take me a while to learn how to start the Echo. It used to be an exercise to start it, now I got the routine down to the point that I can start cold with 2 pulls in a good day.

Don't let it idle for half an hour!!!! Unless you like carbon........This is not steak, charcoal taste is not good:laughing::laughing::laughing:

9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Redmax stuff is slow to warm up but they're worth it ! Let 'em warm foe 30-40 seconds, trigger them a couple times, and they're good to go.

SNAFU [situation normal, all fouled up! ]

10. Rangr25

Rangr25 LawnSite Member

one of the reasons i let it just sit there and idle for that long is that i was hoping that it would finally warm up to the point where i could actually run it full throttle... but still even after sitting for that long it just fell flat on its face and quit. also my machines take a lot longer than 30-40 seconds which is why i am wondering if maybe the carb isnt getting enough gas or something like that... the edger is still so new i have only put one tank of gas in it.