Redmax oil again

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by christoff, Jan 9, 2005.

?

Which oil do you use?

1. Redmax oil

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Whatever is cheapest

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. another respectable brand with good oil qualaties

23 vote(s)
    59.0%
  1. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

which one do you use

2. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Amsoil. Why use anything else? Less smoke, less deposits, more power, longer equipment life. 'Nuff said.

3. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I use Red Max in the Red Max 7001 Blower
    I use Sthil in the Sthil trimmers...........was told by dealer it would void warenty by interchanging ............anyone heard this before?

4. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Using Mobil One Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil M2XT in all our two strokes including our Redmax EBZ8000RH Backpack Blower. Mobil oil met the specification listed in Redmax manual. No smoke except initially at cold startup with choke on. Gold color of mixed fuel is different from the norm. Equipment runs fine without spark plug fouling or exhaust spark arrestor clogging. Mix at 50:1 and regular unleaded 87 octane (R+M rating).

Best regards

Wayne

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Opti 2 only in all my 2 cycle stuff.

6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Opti-2 here. It is synthetic oil in case you are interested....

7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Your dealer is lying to you. It is against the law to make such requirements. I would be very pizzed if I was you and i would talk to him about the hassle he has caused you by keeping separate fuel cans for each brand. Seems like a lot of unnecessary work at the gas pumps too. This world doesn't need anymore law suits but this guy lied to you to get you to buy a product. He needs to be stopped from doing this again. I would go as far as him making you buy an inferior product and that he might have shorten the life of the equipment because of his lies.

For a manufacture to tell you that you have to use their oil, filters etc. is breaking monopoly laws. they are allowed to require a part to meet certain specs. If you use replacement parts that meet their specs then they can not deny you warranty.

edit: My statement about him possibly shortening the life of your equipment is extreme. But there are inferior oils that can make your equipment last longer and he took your right to use them away from you.

8. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I hate it when dealers do that crap just to make a few dollars. Makes me wonder wwhat else they're lying about, too. Soupy is right about the dealer lying to you. Here's the code from the Magnuson-Moss Act enacted in 1975.

"No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in conjunction with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name;" United States Code, Title 15, Chapter 50, Section 2302 (c)

Amisol has an entire article written about this subject on this page. It might be worthwile reading to be a better informed consumer. You might want to pass it along to your dealer, too.

BTW, I use Opti-2 in all my 2 cycle stuff.

9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

good post! I read that page on Amsoils site and found a useful tool when dealing with such dealers. I copied and pasted the following info.........

AMSOIL further backs its products with action when a Dealer or customer reports being told their warranty is voided if they use synthetics.

If you have heard from any member of a business that the use of AMSOIL Motor Oil or the practice of extending drain intervals will void warranties, send AMSOIL all the details including the name of the business, business owner or manager and the individual making the claims, in a signed and dated letter. Send the letter to the Technical Services Department at corporate headquarters and an AMSOIL representative will send them a letter explaining the facts.
    Access to the complete Magnuson-Moss Act is available on the Internet by key words "Magnuson-Moss Act" or "Federal Trade Commission."

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Amsoil mixed at 80:1.