Redmax oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ow man, Nov 4, 2003.

1. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

Gentlemen, When using a Redmax Stratocharged engine, you need to use the Redmax oil. I have seen units carbon up when using other manufacturers oil. Also Redmax is very good about warranties when you use their oil. These engines are so delicate, due to the epa standards, that they need the oil from Redmax that was designed by the Redmax techs. In my area, the oil only runs about a $1.00 for a 1 gal mix. I've had no problems with this oil, but have seen problems with other oil in these units.

2. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

What other oil are you talking about?

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Anything other than Redmax oil I assume.

4. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Well ow man, it's being 3 years since I switched to Amsoil 100:1 two cycle, thaks to member of this site, and I can tell you that every year I change my spark plug on all my equipment, not because it needs it but cause I have to (I guess), before I had to change sparks every couple of months or weeks, I use to use redmax brand for my redmax stuff and stihl for my stihl, also because stihl calls for 50:1 and RM 30:1 if I recall correctly, now I use amsoil on all my 2 cycle.

I couldn't be happier.

5. bpurser154

bpurser154 LawnSite Member

No manufacturer can legally refuse warranty as a result of not using their oil. However, if one uses another oil and tests show a lack of lubrication caused failure, the manufacturer can refuse warranty. Each company tests oil in their unit, and adds various ingredients to achieve optimum results. They run them at all temperatures, various rpm ranges in a variety of elevations. I would take bets that none of the generic oil companies go to this length with every product in every manufacturers line of products. The generic oil company's only interest is in selling oil. It would be inaccurate to say the equipment manufacturer does not also want to sell oil. The most important difference---
    The equipment manufacturer wants their customer to return and buy lmore equipment.

6. Clewsew

Clewsew LawnSite Member

I agree BP....I only put Stihl oil in my Stihl. I guess that I just think that the engineers at Stihl would now produce or reccomend oil with their name on it that would cause failure or poor performance. It really doesn't matter to me what oil someone else uses for their equip, but I know that when I am using Stihl's oil I am doing what is recommended by the factory, and how much more does it really cost. even if it was $.50 per gallon...so what if I have peace of mind. Just my thoughts not to step on anyone's toes.

7. Birdman

Birdman LawnSite Member
    from 6

The equipment companies DO NOT MAKE OIL. If the oil meets the OEM specification then it does not matter what brand you use....IT's all about MARKETING and MONEY.

8. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Engines aren't designed to meet oil specs. It's the other way around. Use only Red Max 50:1 oil mix with the new strato-charged engines. Red Max is a great company and goes a long way to make customers happy with warranty issues. I know first hand.

9. bpurser154

bpurser154 LawnSite Member

Hey Birdman, think about what you are saying. You are right in the fact that, if the oil meets spec's, it is OK to use. But. I would ask you. Who determines the oil meets spec's? Some dude that mixed some ingredients, bought some containers, poured the oil in the bottles, and put some real good looking labels on the bottles with a lot of bull s--t. You are also right, that it is only marketing, and this is the company that is really exploiting the marketing scam. The equipment manufacturer oil sales represents a very small portion of their total sales. The major reason they sell oil, is because they want their equipment to operate at optimum performance.