1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

redmax or stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kickin grass, Mar 10, 2007.

1. kickin grass

kickin grass LawnSite Member

ive been looking to upgrade to a stronger trimmer ive been looking on ebay for a stihl fs 80 and up but ive been looking at redmax, but we dont have a dealer around here, but i would really like to try one out, any advice would be appreciated, everything ive heard about them is good, but should i just stick with stihl?
  2. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Stick with the Stihl.
  3. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have a stihl 90 and beat the crap out of it last summer doing over grown gullys, and it works like I just bought it. I cleaned it up and still look new.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's my advice too.

Stick with what you can get part/service for locally.

You ought to go ahead and buy it from a local dealer too.
  5. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

What is the need for a stronger trimmer? What are you cutting. I used to buy the big ones all the way up to a fs-250. They put too much fatigue on the operator. I started buying the redmax 2300 series last year (had to put steel clutches in them), and the guys love them. They are light as a feather and have plenty of power for a standard lawn service route. Picked up another four of them last week. Blowers are different though, more power is better. Redmax 8000's and 13hp force blowers seem to work best for us.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Between those two go with Stihl!
  7. cemeteryman

cemeteryman LawnSite Member

Stihl won't let you down
  8. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going all Stihl. I have two dealers that I am sure can service any and all Stihl gear quickly, though I have not yet needed it.

9. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I guess I'll be different and say Red Max all the way. I love Stihl for chainsaws and for handheld blowers, but Red Max for trimmers.
  10. rossignol5

rossignol5 LawnSite Member

I bought the new 4 stroke stihl the beginning of last summer. It is so smoothe, quiet and light. I think im going to throw away my stihl two strokes. I have not tried any attachments to my 4 stroke yet, but i think it will be just as good. Dont dought me I love my stihl 2 strokes better then echo huskavarna and red max. I would go stihl.