1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

redmax or stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by youngbuck, Mar 18, 2005.

1. youngbuck

youngbuck LawnSite Member

my local dealer sells redmax and stihl he is really pushing me into buying a redmax i dono if he is doing it because he make more of a profit or if it is a better trimmer help me out on this one plz.
  2. woodmedic

woodmedic LawnSite Member
    from Texas

See if he will let you try both of them and see which one suits you better.
  3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

take the redmax, better motor, more horsepower, and better on gas
  4. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

from all that I have read here on Lawnsite I would personally go with the Redmax, except for the stihl chainsaws. This is nothing against sthil- just based on all the posts I have read. Used to to be a shindaiwa man myself- now all Echo except for my 15 yr old shindaiwa chain saw. In the end you gotta decide for yourself on what works for you. Best of luck!
  5. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 LawnSite Member

If you are referring to backpack blowers, I would go with the Redmax. I tried both at the beginning of last season. The Redmax 7001 was much better. Definitely worth the extra cash.
  6. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

chevyman1, I hate to disagree with you but I can't find where Redmax trimmers have more hp than the Stihl. I run Stihl FS250R's and they have 40.2cc and produce 2.15hp. The biggest Redmax trimmer (BC3401DL) only has 33.6cc and produces 1.6hp. Therefore, the Stihl has more cc and hp. Please don't take offense to this reply, I was just trying to put the numbers in perspective.
  7. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

Redmax is better built product overall.

No question.

Better warranties, lighter. much easier starting the list goes on.....

8. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

Your dealer won't make that much money with either one he sells. If you like the dealer, you probably couldn't go wrong with either brand. I personally own Stihl, some of the reason is my area doesn't have a Redmax dealer. Nesrest one is 50 miles away. I have 4 Stihl dealers to chose from within 20 miles. If you're buying a blower, however, by the Redmax. Just my .02

9. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

Stihl trimmers,
    Redmax blowers.

Just my 2 cents worth. Try them and pick the one you like. They are both good units.

10. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl 110 four stroke split boom that I have several attachments for. One of the attachments is the string trimmer. I also have a Redmax 2600 trimmer and a Redmax 2600 edger. I prefer the Redmax trimmer over my Stihl for everyday trimming because of the way the clutch works on the four stroke Stihl. The clutch on the Stihl is either locked or not. This makes it hard to feather the throttle and makes it sling rocks much worse. In heavy grass though, I prefer the Stihl. My Redmax is awesome. It has plenty of power and is very easy to use.
    Both are excellent trimmers. If I was just buying a trimmer for doing regular trimming I would buy the Redmax. If I needed a trimmer with more power it would be the four stroke Stihl.