Redmax Owners?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, May 20, 2007.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Whats the diff on these 2 models i can't really tell a big Diff. TR2300S & BCZ3001SW

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Boy oh boy... let me tell you...... HUGE DIFFERENCE.

The 2300 is a nice 9 pounds.
    But it's old 2 cycle tech... not stratocharged.
    Plus that trimmer is such a total toy if you use a trimmer hard.
    Light grass trimming is about all you can do with it.
    I thought I was going to burn it down... LOL!

The 3001... you don't want the SW unless you want the bike bar handles as it is the total brushcutter configuration. Instead, click "New Products" and look at the regular 3001. (there website is a mess right now)

That thing is a 30cc trimmer at the same weight as my 2600.
    It's the one I should have gotten, and the one I recommend to everyone.

The 3000 or 3001.

30cc and 11 pounds, with the best head out there.

When you get it, rather than removing the guard totally, instead just loosen it up. Then rotate it to the left of the head. Sit it down on a flat surface. Then tighten it back down in that postion. The string should clear it where you can run a lot of line out like I do... and the guard will work like a shield for you.

I did this on the 2300 out of luck because it was a demo. Just moved it to run more line and thought WOW! Sadly, my 2600 has a different setup where I can't do that.... and it weighs the same as the 3000 with only 26cc's.

3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok whats beter on this one the HEZ2500S Staight Shaft Edger or the stihl Staight Shaft Edger?

4. Envy Lawn Service

Personally, for brawn of the build, stihl trimmers and edgers are beyond what RedMax is at about the same weight. I tried RedMax because I was looking to wait out the 4-Mix thing a little longer before pushing my luck and getting more of them.

Just so happened I was impressed with the heads, and the dealer being new to them not only offered me to demo, but wanted me to take it to the point of a field report.

I ran the FS85's and FC85's for a long time.
    Exclusively for 4 or 5 seasons.

I found the 2600 to be pretty close to the FS85 in power and price.
    Just a little less build to 'em.

So in my opinion, if you are going to get a RedMax trimmer, use the K.I.S.S. method and keep it simple. Get the RedMax edger too. Less different stuff to keep up with and hunt parts for.

Personally, I started with the 2600 on a "trial" basis. I would have and wanted to go ahead up to the 3000 myself. But my dang dealer wanted well into the $400's range plus tax for the dang thing and wouldn't budge any. My jaw about hit the floor and he realized it too. I flat told him that for the build, I was expecting in the $300's out the door, and that was more than I was willing to invest in a "trial" unit. So I went with the 2600.

Some time later I caught him offering the 3000's for $379 online, which pissssed me off.

5. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

id' never get a RM 2300. like the other guy said above... it's a total toy. i wanted to get a 3001 today but the 3001's that i ran today had a bad delay when hittin the throttle at idle. we ran 2 of them and they did the same thing. i ended up gettin a Stihl FS100 and so far i'm pleased with it. it's tough to say which is lighter.... the stihl or the redmax 3001 without lookin at the specs but the FS100 is very light. only thing i dont like about it is the SMALL handle in front of the throttle grip. i'm not knockin Redmax cuz i like their trimmers as far as comfort and power to weight ratio but stihl just has a better build to them and more torque. i can cut grass with Stihls that Redmax just slaps...... my 2 cents.....

6. Envy Lawn Service

That warm-up delay thing... I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it.

The reason is that it is NOT a consistent thing.
    In other words, it's not across the board on all RedMax stuff.
    Nor is it across the board on all Strato-Charged stuff.
    Nor is it across the board on a particular unit.

Like I was explaining to another guy in a PM. Out of all of mine, I have ONLYone piece that does that. It's a 2600. The rest of them are totally normal. But like I said, not all 2600's or 3000's or 3001's or any model just do it across the board.

After I just lucked into finding out how it liked to be cranked by chance, I no longer have an issue with it on that 2600 either. It still exists in the machine, but I don't have issue with it anymore. I'll explain......

The main difference is that I set the throttle lock before pulling it. I don't particularly "LIKE" that. And, I know that you would never in a million years think it would start at all like that, judging by how it won't take throttle when started.

But... it does crank right up in one or two pulls and scream. So my issue is over with it because I can go straight to work with it.

What I meant by "it still exists in the machine" is that the issue has not gone away, and you can "hear" that it's spinning high but running cold. I just leave the throttle lock on and go to work as it goes through it's little warm-up thing. When it's over, it spins up faster than I want it to be running steady, so I flip off the lock and resume normal operation.

I'd like to figure out the mystery.

7. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

the reason i question it so much is that i was told by redmax themselves that it had been fixed by re-porting the pistons. what i'm thinking is that the ones that i ran could have been some with old porting. and yes.... when its running at WOT.... IT'S RUNNING!!!!. but it's just frustrating to have to wait those couple seconds to be able to really cut what you need to cut. i dont know..... no matter what brand unit you buy these days there's something that will not give the customer 100% satisfaction.... especially in this business. like i said in my last reply to this thread... i just bought a Sthil FS100. i'm a fan of stihl and always have been but they need to put a more comfortable throttle grip thats completely round like redmax or shindaiwa rather than that bulky one. my small hands cramp up after a while but i'd sacrifice some comfort to get a better running unit.

8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

last year I bought a 3000/3001? and have not been able to hardly use it. What was referred to as a delay above has been much worse for me. Sometimes the trimmer will run ok, but others wont spin up at all. The trimmer has never run like it should. My dealer has put 3 new carbs on as directed by red-max but still hasn't corrected the problem.

Yesterday I was finally fed up with this and dropped it off saying I don't want the trimmer back. I need a new one that works.

I would advise anyone looking at the 3000 to run the trimmer prior to buying it. Make sure it runs like you would expect.

Mine is so bad that sometimes it wont even spin up into the RPMs when there is NO trimmer line at all. The unit just seems like it doesn't have enough torque to spin its own weight.

9. Envy Lawn Service

What you guys are describing is something different than my experience I believe.

On my one that does it...

If I just prime it and crank it, it's harder to start than I like.
    Once it's started you have to just let it idle a minute or so before getting on the throttle.
    Else, it will die and you start over... and this is every time it's cranked that way.

If I set the throttle lock and crank it, it takes the throttle immediately.
    It doesn't scream full speed for the first minute or so.
    But it's more than enough to get on to work with.

Port finish could be a logical explaination for this though.

10. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

My 30cc makes my shoulder,wrist,fingers,back etc hurt! But i always pick it up when i'm trimming! My
    FS85 and Echo feel like toys.

BadA** trimmer!

2 minutes to warm up is nada when i get going.

IM000275.JPG