1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redmax problem, need help..

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by swingset, Nov 11, 2007.

1. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I nabbed a "demo unit" Redmax HEZ2500S stick edger off of Craigslist, mainly as a backup unit. The guy selling isn't close to me in the state so he shipped it to me, but promised it ran like a top. Well, that's half right I guess....it runs at full throttle great, but the second you let off, it dies. No low idle, it just comes down from wide open to dead.

And, being a Redmax the carb has no adjustments other than idle (which even maxed out does nothing to change the behavior).

Assume here we're talking about a new engine...it looks showroom great, other than some dust. Filter is clean, gas is 89octane, Stihl Ultra mix (same stuff that runs great in my other trimmers), screen is new, fuel line is clean and no clogs or kinks, fuel filter is new, spark plug is perfect.

What say the experts? Carb problem? I have a local Redmax dealer in case all else fails, but I'm willing to tear into it...never owned a Redmax motor, are the carbs adjustable at all or not?

Speaking of which, does anyone know of an online dealer that stocks parts?

CHUCK'SLAWN LawnSite Member

Rebuild or replace carb and it will be fine
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Double check the bolts holding the carb on. They come loose sometimes and will cause exactly the problem you're saying.
  4. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Negatory. I spent this evening breaking down the carb/intake, checked everything inside and out. Gaskets are good, bolts tight, gas line is clean and free of crud, plug is good to go, no air restrictions, etc. Everything appears to be right, and there is definitely no carb adjustments on this thing (strike 1 for Redmax).

I hope parts aren't hard to come by.
  5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

You might also try to loosen and retighten the screws holding the throttle cable bracket to the carb. If the machine was bumped in that area or took a hard drop, it may be applying torque to the carb and binding the throttle valves twisting action in the carb. I learned this from experience....it got knoscked off the bench and when started ran wide open once the throttle was squeezed and would not return to idle. See if the throttle valve operates freely by twisting it by hand right at the carb.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You need to tweak the metering valve in the bottom of the carb. assy. This is in reality a carb. adjustment, the only one that can be made. However, there is no way I can really explain how to do this without an actual hands-on show and tell session.
  7. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

That works for me, how long to get from Texas to Central Ohio?

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Just take it to that local dealer. But let's pray for you that the guy doesn't hold a grudge for you buying a Redmax over the internet which (unless it has changed since the Husqvarna buyout) is against the rules of the Redmax Dealer agreement.
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Just buy me an airline ticket and put me up in a nice motel, and I can be there pretty quick. American has several direct flights from DFW to Columbus each day.
    I have not checked on airline service to the other major cities in Ohio.:laugh:
  10. 259 toro

259 toro LawnSite Member

Check your oil redmax are very pickey about the type oil they use.