1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indian, Mar 5, 2005.

1. indian

indian LawnSite Member

Are these the same? Is one better than the other?
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

They aren't the same, and you will hear from Shin lovers and Redmax lovers. Like a Ford, Chevy arguement. It's just personal preference (or dealer preference).
  3. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

Being a shindaiwa dealer and now a redmax dealer ,I have to say I would put the redmax ahead.Up until a few years ago i don,t believe you could have bought a better trimmer than the shindaiwa ,they had a hard time meeting emissions and I have seen alot of starting problems on here and some of the units that i sold in 2002 ,you could pop the cover off the older carbs and richen then out ,but the newer ones are sealed in like a melted plastic.I had one guy who bought 7 trimmers in 5 years smash his newest one as he could not start it when it was hot like alto of the others,also since they went to the T-231,T261,T-271 with the cat converter they are somewhat heavier than the redmax,so far i have had good luck with the strato charged engines ,my opinion and my opinion only
  4. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I bought a shindawa 261t last season hated the damn thing. It was hard/impossible to start once warmed up and was very heavy. Nothing compares to redmax 2600s. :)
  5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like my shins. T2510 and a T231. Only had a prob with the 231 at the very beginning. But love them both! I never heard of Redmax until i came to this site. I demoed a redmax right before i bought the 2510. I wasn't really impressed.
  6. Primecut

Primecut LawnSite Member

I also love the shindaiwas. I've been using them for close to 10 years and haven't had many problems.
  7. derek1

derek1 LawnSite Member

Just bought a Redmax blower and trimmer from my local dealer, and have had no problems with the setup at all and it has a 2yr commercial warranty this will be my first yr using redmax but nothing bad to say about the products thus far.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Old shin could not be beat,epa has killed the ope field, redmax stratocharged can not be beat i have run it all.
  9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly! I love my Redmax. I like the Shins too, but the dealer I didn't care for.
  10. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing that I love about my Redmax, is I never have to worry about it working. They are that good. The first thing my employees notice about them the first time the use one. Wow, no vibration. These machines are the top of the class. Back in 1995, I bought my 48 scag hydo WB and needed a new trimmer. I wanted to get a new stihl but the dealer that sells Echo and stihl recommened a Redmax. I thought to myself what the he!! is a Redmax. He said it is by far the best trimmer on the market. The engine is in a class of its own. This dealer has been selling stihl for over 20years. He was right it was and still is the best running, easiest starting and smoothest trimmer I have ever used. Excluding my stihl chainsaw and bp blower and a Echo vac all of my handheld equipment is Redmax. 4 trimmers, 2 hedge clippers, 1 articulating hedge clipper and two blowers. No repairs ever on a Redmax product except cleaning some carbon out of the exhaust port ($30) on two of the oldest models which have somewhere over a 1000hrs on them.