Redmax, stihl, or echo attachments?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barkleymut, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

My echo 2100SB that I started out with 6 years ago is about to go into the trash. For the past few years it has been only hooked up to the hedge trimmer attachment. Recently when trimming some compacta hollies it left a lot of jagged cuts and it has been falling apart for some time anyways. So I need some new hedge trimmers and I need another weedeater anyways so what should I get? How easy is it to interchange on the Stihl and Redmax? Anyone have experience with the hedge trimmers on the Stihl or Redmax? Are they better than my Echo? Which I never thought gave a really clean cut. Opinions appreciated.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Do you work alone? If not i dont see the use in the attachments, only being able to use one thing at a time. But, being a stihl lover, i will tell you everything i have is stihl, weedeaters, edger, blower, trimmer(handheld), and pole saw. I do have a echo extended trimmer, and its the one thing i prefer over stihl because of the weight. If you do alot of trimming, and i do alot, the weight issue really comes into play. I have no idea what the model is, its about 7 years old, and works great, practicly daily. Now if you dont do lots of trimming, stihls power and ease of repair is hard to beat. I have never seen or used a redmax, so i have no input on that.

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the stihl 85 with hedge trimmers, weed eater and edger. All of the attachments have worked well. The hedge trimmers cut great. Little bit cumbersom and tough to work on smaller bushes. Also they are a bit on the pricey side, think I paid about $220 for mine. The power unit itself has been a constant battle. Seven monthes old and has had two modules replaced, two carbs and a short block installed. The shaft has had two new cables installed. The locking mechanism has been though 6 of the little handles that are used to tighten the attachments in. All this work and the thing is still an adventue to get started. Not just the first time but everytime. Good luck on your new purchase

Rhett

4. ed's lawn service

ed's lawn service LawnSite Member

Hi! I got the Stihl KM-110 combi- tool and I think that it is cool and awesome. I have the trimmer head and the hedge trimmer head, and I haven't had any mechanical problems with either. One problem is that each of the attachments is around or above $200. With 29 cc's the engine has plenty of power so that is not a concern. The hedge trimmer had no problem with azalea and arborvitea bushes. It just went right through them no problem.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have the red max , i bought the wacker, hedge trimmer, and chainsaw attachment. the whole thing cost around $1100 i think. very nice set up. changes over in less than 60 seconds. i love it.

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, it is obvious you really like the Redmax combo. How does the hedge trimmer perform? Does it leave a really clean cut? Do you have to go over any bushes twice? Thanks for the other input guys.

7. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

we use echo and red max, stihl is good to. i always liked the echo for lighter weight and handling. it seems i don't have to hold my arms in an akward position to keep my weed eater level. on our split boone red max, the collar has to be replaced sometimes, and if the engine goes down, all the eqiupment is done. red max has had trouble with an ignition module, we've had to replace it on every unit we owned, and toss the spark arrester due to constant cleaning. echo has needed no arrester cleanings, and only one spark plug in 2 yrs. red max has good plug life too. don't use much stihl, alot of people like them though. our red max is a pain in the butt to get shaft lined up to slide the poles together. we seem to have less trouble out of echo, and echo gets used more. during summer my 260s wore out the aluminum string guides about every two months! i took the spark arester out a few days ago, and it was barely even black. still haven't had to clean it.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

barkley, they cut like a dream. im very pleased. word of advice: if yur gonna buy them in spring, start lifting wieghts now, they are heavy!

9. Willdro

Willdro LawnSite Member

Which one would you prefer-Stihl KM which is the split Shaft or the Sthil FS 85R or FS 85RX which has the interchangeable gearbox?

10. bpurser154

bpurser154 LawnSite Member

A major expense with hedge clippers is sharpening them. Redmax case hardens their blades before they sharpen them. I understand everyone else sharpens and then case hardens them. Redmax hedge clippers will maintain their edge longer for this reason. You can buy the Redmax regular trimmer, and add the hedge clipper or pole saw attachment with their own gear box which slide on very easy.

You can also buy their Extreme coupled in the middle, with a string trimmer, and add the pole saw, hedge clipper, and lawn edger. They work real smooth, the other guy that mentioned a problem changing them should go back to his dealer. Or maybe he has an older machine with something different from today.