RedMax TR2300S trimmer REVIEW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

Well, after just one day in the field with this demo, here is my 'so far' review of RedMax's Robin 2050 look-alike.

The trimmer is a super-light class trimmer.
    It's about 9 lbs as opposed to the 8 lb Robin they appear to have copied somewhat.
    It's nice and light compared to the Stihl FS85's I've been running.
    But no doubt at all that extra pound is ALL down at the head.
    Light but head heavy. The gear box I figure...

However, seeing the 104+ bump head is the only thing that interested me about the RedMax.
    It's NICE!
    Press the sides of the head to release the spool...
    The bottom, tap button and string eyelets all drop down in one piece.

Personally, I really like the way this trimmer starts.
    It starts at idle and WILL start and run with the choke on.
    So you can crank it and get to the choke before it dies.
    However, on average it takes 3 pulls or so to crank it.
    Sound... it reminds me of the Honda 4 stroke trimmers, deep and throaty, and not real loud.

At first I really hated the guard. I appreciated the cut-off knife after running for years with no guards. It was in the way for those things you reach over and trim with the back side of the string head. It also kept the trim swath cut down to like 16".... which for me is like playing with a kids toy. I also couldn't see what the heck I was doing when I tried edging with it.

So I started loosening the screws on the guard to remove it until I returned it. As I was doing this it occurred to me just to twist it around give how RedMax attaches theirs. So I spun it around on the shaft to the left side of the head sideways far enough so the string couldn't touch it. I instantly loved this guard... Now out of the line of sight and an honest to goodness guard that really guards something while edging and trimming. IN FACT I URGE ALL REDMAX OWNERS DO THE EXACT SAME.

However, this is where I had to stop and face some ugly facts about this trimmer that I did not want to. See, I found out right quick that this thing is not up to slinging more than a 16" swath... about 6" of string out each side of a 4" head. This made me stop to face the fact that the trimmer was already very lackluster in the power department.

This thing is weird. It honestly really reminds me of a true 4 cycle trimmer. It has really surprising torque in my opinion. But it just cannot achieve the high powered screaming top-end RPMs. Plus I also caught myself running it about 3/4 throttle most of the time, which I would gripe at myself for because head speed really suffered.

But I came to realize I was doing this for 2 reasons. The first is that was where the engine really seemed to run the best before just going flat so to speak. The other is that this trimmer is not all that smooth. It gives off the high speed vibes. The more you rev it, the more it vibrates and the faster the vibration.

I also realized that under normal operation it gets HOT. The plug/plug wire is really exposed. If you are not careful you can get burnt in a hurry... and I figure years down the road it will turn into a shock point as well. I came very close to getting burned several times. Although I didn't get any burn marks, my forearm is 'heat sore'. This is not good at all considering Friday was a cool day and I spent most of it working in the rain.

Overall....

I like the way it starts...
    I like the handles...
    I like the throttle lock... (would be better if you could set it where you want it)

Love the bump head...
    Love the guard... (after rotating it)

But compared to the FS85R Stihls... this thing is a total complete toy...
    I felt like I was using a homeowner 4 cycle all day and I was way slow on my trim times.
    It's a TURF grass only trimmer, and not a mean one at that.
    Weeds and grassy weeds just laugh at it.

However, to be fair, Stihl doesn't offer anything in this weight class.

I think I will run it a while longer and take time to get more familiar with the fine points of the RedMax design... air filter, carb adjustments if any, general crap like that. Fill the spool with Mega Twist (flys easier) ect... If it doesn't grow on me, I may return this demo and take out the StratoCharged BCZ2600.

2. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Use the .080 size string and it will do alot better. It will eat up clutches with the .095. I have 2.They do have steel cluches for them now so that will fix the clutch problem. I was going thru the lined ones each month. The weight difference is sure a lot less fatigue on the fellows after a long day. I bought 2 shindaiwa t231's at the same time. The favorites seem to be the tr2300s. If you need the extra power go with the 2600. I also use no guards.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I was pretty sure there was no way this thing was worth $260.
    Now I'm certain.

4. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I got the Redmax aabout a week ago & it's great!. I too have a Stihl FS85 & love it too, for it capabilities, great tried & true engine, and wide array of attachments. The Redmax is not a replacement for the Stihl. It's just for trimming after mowing. The weight difference is night & day. No more sore back with the Redmax. I would reccommend it for anyone for grass trimming. When you need some more umph for heavy stuff. The FS85 rules. BTW, the Redmax was $229.00

Redmax says you will burn it out (clutch?) if you remove the guard!

hillndale:headphones:

5. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah... I agree it's not a replacement for the FS85...
    Nor did I expect it to be.

I was looking for something light just for grass trimming.
    So I figured I'd give this RedMax a chance since I could demo it.

6. Envy Lawn Service

For you RedMax owners....

This is what I way 'trying' to explain about what I did with the guard.
    This is how I have it sitting and how it looks when trimming.
    It actually guards something too....

rm tg.jpg

7. Envy Lawn Service

Here's what it's like if you hold the trimmer like I do to edge...
    Allows you to see what you're doing... and blocks stuff off you well too!

rm eg.jpg

8. Envy Lawn Service

From the sound of things though... I guess you'd have to be careful about the line length though. Doesn't sound like they put much of a clutch in the RedMax trimmers.

But if you want to do this, all you have to do is loosen the screws, rotate it to the left, sit it down on a flat surface and tighten it down where it doesn't hold the head up any. That's good enough for the line to clear.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Where are all the RedMax people at?

I was under the impression that RedMax was as popular here as eXmark once was.
    Or has RedMax fell from 'favor' too???........

10. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a couple of those 2300's my guys and me love them. Just run .80 string (easier on the clutch). Holding up great 3 months and running.