Redmax TR2301S trimmers, clogging spark arrestor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by vgshopboss, Jul 18, 2008.

1. vgshopboss

vgshopboss LawnSite Member

Just curious if anyone else is running Redmax trimmers, and if you have problems with the spark arrestor screens constantly plugging up. We run Redmax blowers and hedge trimmers as well, and have zero problems with them doing it, and they are using the same fuel supply.

2. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

We run Redmax Stroto-charged trimmers, blower, and a stick edger. The only one that has plugged up the spark arrester screen is the trimmer. I suspect that it is because we run that trimmer at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle to minimize throwing of grass. The other equipment we use at 3/4 throttle and above most of the time and have no issue. You can clean it in solvent and brush. If you do not need the spark arrester feature(no operation in forests, dry areas, near flammable areas, ect) you can remove it to eliminate future clogging.

3. vgshopboss

vgshopboss LawnSite Member

According to my Redmax sales guy, he has seen this quite a bit, turns out that they tend to set them to run a bit rich from the start, a little extra insurance, so they tend to plug up quite a bit. I went ahead and pulled them all.

4. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

We don't have those, but have noticed a big problem with our two strokes this year. I believe it is the ethinol in the fuel.