Redmax Trimmer Engine Question?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by carcrz, Jan 1, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

After a year of sitting in my shed (dead) I decided I was going to try & get it running. Well I put some seafoam in the carb, cleaned the filters, & cleaned out the muffler & spark arrestor. I let it sit w/ the seafoam over night & tried to start it the next morning. It fired right up & all was well. So now a day later, I filled it up w/ some mixed gas (Stihl 50:1 & Stabil) so it would be winterized until next year. I went to fire it up & the chord wouldn't budge. What would have changed between yesterday when it was running just fine & today when I got nothing?:dizzy: Is there anything I can do? Please help.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Take the spark plug out and try pulling on the starter rope! If it is still stuck take off the starter rope housing and see if you can turn the crank by hand.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

He is right sometimes they seem to be locked.

4. carcrz

Just went out for some more tinkering.
    1. Tried to pull chord to make sure it was for sure stuck - confirmed.
    2. Took plug out & pulled - still stuck.
    3. Pulled pull chord assembly off & it was able to turn. Put it all back together & pulled the chord.

WE HAVE LIFT OFF!!!

Why would it do this? Do I need to lubricate the chord housing? Anything I can do to prevent it or make it less likely. I also sprayed some fogging oil in the plug while I had it off, since it is a working back-up now.

5. carcrz

Now to work on the old walk-behind edger my dad wanted me to get rid of...

6. carcrz

Arghhh!!! I went out to get the edger out of the truck & figured I'd start the trimmer up one last time to make sure all was well. NO DICE! It's stuck again. This time, I can't get it to budge w/ or w/o the chord assembly.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

Thumbs up,keep it lubed.

8. carcrz

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

Pull the plug and pour 2 stroke oil into the piston and let it sit,restrorob can help you a bunch.

10. carcrz

will do. Thanks!