RedMax Trimmer Heads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Aug 29, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a couple of newer RedMax trimmers with the "latest" style heads. The kind with square rings where the line exits the head.

Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble with string binding up inside these heads? Sometimes it gets so tight in there, it looks like the string has almost melted together. I have noticed (out of frustration) that if I really slap it down hard on the ground it will release some string at times. But this is so hard, I know I'm just asking for problems if I continue to beat it this way.:confused:

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

What line are you useing? Generally when it melts together it is bad line.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Try 130 line it will not break it will solve your problem.

4. lawnspecialties

I'm not sure of the brand. It's an aftermarket I bought from my dealer. It's .095 and appears to be a better quality line.

My comments about the melting were just to give a picture of what's occurring. It isn't melting, just binding up so bad, it get's pulled so tight it appears to be melting together.

5. lawnspecialties

.130 is a big doggone string for a 25cc trimmer.

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I wouldnt go with a .130 line on that either!!

It may be how you are spooling it as well. Best advice is to wind it how a machine would, make it nice and tight and not zigzagging a lot. Also Use a good quality trimmer line.

I havent had problems with that head, try to spool it better and see if that works.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have run it for 4 seasons without the guard,itz great will not break.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I don't know what "new style" head you would be talking about. Redmax has not changed their heads for at least the last 8 or 9 years.

9. lawnspecialties

Then I guess you already know what I meant, then. :hammerhead:

The first RedMax trimmer I bought was in 2001 and the head had round grommets where the string came out. All the replacement heads I purchased after were the same until this year. Now all I can find are the "new" style. At least that's what they are to me.

10. mathews

mathews LawnSite Member

Lawnspecialties, i know exactly wat ur talkin about. I bought my first redmax this spring n the head is horrible because of wat u described. Now the button has a hole in it from beating it on the ground