1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Redmax trimmer help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by oceanpotion, Oct 4, 2007.

1. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

After all my mowing was done today I went to give an estimate. Well, I passed the house and had to pull into a vacant lot and back up. Well, me being the jacka$$ that I am sometimes I answer the phone while trying to back my rig up. Im still kinda green on handling the trailer. Anyways, I look back and the trailer was perpendicular to the truck! I get out to check it out and see the shaft on my Redmax is warped pretty bad matching the new warp on my trimmer rack. \

What am I going to have to do to get this machine working again? I havent even tried to fire it up. Im kinda thinking about re bending it in a vise? Maybe replace the shaft/spline? Any input... ppppplleeeease
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The inner drive shaft is flexible, so probably is not damaged. You can try to straighten out the outer pipe, but you may get vibration and the inner shaft may wear out the pipe at some point in the future.
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Put it in a press to straighten it, and do not fire it up until you have the shaft straight
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

i RAN over my BCZ3000 straight shaft trimmer over a year ago, less than 2hrs of use on it then :( It was about $120 to fix it including a new boom and shaft, but mine isnt a cable version inside so it was around $60 in parts and that much in labor too, just fyi. it sucks though.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Go to the dealer and get a used shaft.
  6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

If you have a flex shaft, it looks like a long spring and there is no damage. all you really need to do then is replace the tube and inner lining. If it's a steel shaft, it would be better to replace both the shaft and the tube/liner. You could try to bend it all back to sharp, but if you don't get it just right, the vibration from the shaft could give you carpel tunnel
    ericg likes this.
  7. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

Sounds good, you guys are the best