Redmax trimmer problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by S man, Nov 18, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have a redmax bcz2600s that is over one year old and is having some issues with the shaft. It vibrates towards the cutting head and when trimming makes an excessive whining sound. And it seems unbalanced somewhat. Does anyone have any advice or ideas about my trimmer?

2. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

Start by getting a service manual like mechanics use, that shows the individual parts inside the shaft and trimmer head. Then take it apart and see what is wrong. Replace defective bearing or whatever is broke. With the diagram you should be able to put it back together.

3. S man

It's under warranty.Shoudn't I bring it in?

4. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

I Would bring it in for warranty work if I didnt think
    i would need to use it until spring.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If it is like Echo you can disconnect the tube/shaft at the motor end then pull out the flex shaft and lubricate it. Echo has plastic guides inside the tube that can be replace but they should not be worn out in first year. The other thing to do is check the oil in the gearcase at the head end and be sure it is full. The clutch shoes in the head could be worn-out and could be chattering but that should only happen if you had very heavy use in first year.

6. S man

Well I use it a lot but take care of it. Ed, it has a steel shaft that I just greased and am still hearing the vibrating. And also the head is wobbling even after I tightened it. Are the clutch shoes under warranty if they are worn out?

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If the head is wobbling that would indicate that you have problems in the gear box. That is easy to tell by rotating the gears with the head off. The clutches would likely not be warranty since it is a wear item. ON Echo you can take out 4 screws and disconnect two wires and you can slide off the head to see the clutch pads and spring. We only get around one year on those but I won't think they would cause a lot of vibration if worn out unless they grab and release??

8. S man

Can I get a new gearbox for it?

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If its under warranty, take it in to the shop. You may loose the remaining balance of warranty if you screw it up after taking it apart.

10. S man

I agree with you there.