1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Redmax Trimmer Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by WJW Lawn, May 20, 2007.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys...I have a Redmax 2600 trimmer. Seems to be losing power when I crank it...almost like its bogged down but its not. Any clue what this could be? Id take it to my dealer...but he'll take 3 yrs to fix it.

2. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

Dirty Air Filter? Clogged Fuel Line? Those would both cause a loss of power when it needs fuel and air most.

3. WJW Lawn

Its neither of those...Im thinking bad fuel or carbon build up...Im gonna run some new mix in it...see if that does it. Maybe the carb?? If I run her full throttle...she stalls out--thats why I think carb. But the thing isnt even a year old.

4. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

Check the needles in the carb. Full throttle stalling sounds like to much gas to the engine, especially since you said it "boggs down". Could be that the needles are stuck or are opening too much.

5. jomowz

jomowz LawnSite Member

I had the same problem... Someone in the know can drill out a plug on the carb to get to the adjustment screw. Turn the screw counterclockwise to adjust the air mixture. The reason the screw is covered is due to emissions regulations. There is no carb adjustment screw vissible right? I've seen this done & it works. They are great trimmers... just need carb adj.
    Let me know how you make out...Joe

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

change out the fuel filter inside the fuel cell to eliminate any fuel pick up issues. then we can go from there

7. WJW Lawn

Fixed...clogged spark arrestor...popped it out...good to go.

8. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

we had the same problem with two new(er) redmax trimmers at my old work..simpyl was the muffler.

check the plug too, my trimmer (not redmax) was bogging at high rpms, but it was running way too lean for emissions.

9. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Those trimmers can clog up the mufflers and exhaust ports real fast if you run them without the line guard also.

10. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, themowerman is right. too much load (too long of string) will flood the motor with fuel and wash down the ring(s) in the piston causing premature failure of the engine. if you run without the guard, make sure the rpms are still up there.