Redmax Trimmer problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bob, Sep 25, 2007.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a Redmax BCZ3000 trimmer that seems to be lacking power. The spark arrestor has been removed, the air filter cleaned, a new spark plug has been added and a new fuel filter. It doesn't want to get to maximum RPM's. And the few times that it does hit high RPM's ,it's only for a few seconds. Also there is a brass screw on top of the carb. What is this for? thanks

2. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

Besides taking out the arrestor, have you taken off the muffler to clean out the exhaust port?

3. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with my 2600 it makes a loud tinging noise as well. It runs like a normal trimmer does when its not warmed up...but it never really clears out I already did a complete tuneup cleaned the carb everything sounds like we have the same problem.

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I had a TBC 245 come into the shop today, the owner was telling me that it had no power and there was a loose screw somewhere that was making a noise.....The spark arrester was all ready taken off so I pulled the muffler to check the port, it was clear. So I shook the muffler, some times the baffles come loose and will make a noise like a screw loose, no rattle. :confused:
    So I put it back together and started it. ;) As soon as I heard it, that funny tinging sound I knew what it was.
    I pulled the stater off again and the muffler, looked in the port as I move the starter cup back and forth, just a hair, the piston was not moving. The bearing at the bottom end of the connecting rod was shot.
    Just something for you to check there Lawnboy89

ericg likes this.
  5. bob

from DE

That was it! I took the muffler off and could see that the port was partially blocked. I cleaned it out and threw in a new spark plug and the trimmer screams with high RPM's. Thanks!!

6. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

That is the smae exact problem it makes alot of sense....only thing is where can I get this part and do you think I will have trouble installing it thats in the bottem end of the motor ...

7. SAKuhn

SAKuhn LawnSite Member

Make sure you leave you brush guard on. Without the brush guard on, you can feed out too much line which causes the engine to lug and will lead to carbon buildup in the exhaust port robbing the engine of power. We've seen this on the 2400s, 2600s and 3000s trimmers. RedMax sent out an updated brush guard in 2004 to replace some on the 3000 trimmers to address an issue with the engine not running up to full RPM. The updated guard kept the trimmer line about 1/4" shorter.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't that take away a lot of productivity when using a short line.? Is this a valve machine or straight 2 stroke?

9. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

It's a question of $ + time. You can get the part from your dealer, some will even short block it, but these are not cheap, a third to half the cost of a new unit, So how old is the unit, is it worth the time you put into it ?
    For me, it might take an hour, but I have the right tools. Unless you do, it can be very hard to do.
    99 % of the time, it will be warranty work, in which case I can get approval to replace the unit. But if the unit is out of warranty, 99 % time it's not cost effective.

ericg likes this.
  10. bob

from DE

My brush guard is on, but pushed up the shaft a couple of inches. The guard doesn't cut the trimmer line. I perfer a longer line. I also use a fully automatic head. I'll just check the exhaust port more often.