1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

RedMax Trimmer Spiral Spring

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Aug 5, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

RedMax Trimmer 2600

Two years old and the spiral spring broke that retracts the rope back into the housing. Is this a common problem with the RedMax? I have a hundred year old stihl and never had this happen. It's Saturday so that means I'll have to wait until Monday to call the RedMax dealer. Then wait forever on that part to be shipped to me. Are these universal? Or do I have to get a RedMax spiral spring? Thanks!
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Have you put a recoil spring in before? If you have not, you might save yourself the frustration and take the starter housing off and have your dealer install it. Also, parts should not take that long to get since they should be coming out of Norman.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like a small common problem it happen's do you leave it out in the weather we break em.
  4. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

just replace the whole starter, it's a pain to replace and if the shop does it it will cost the same.
  5. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Never happened to me in many years of faithful Redmax service.:drinkup:
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The end tabs on these springs break all the time on all brands...not all that unusual. Some times you can bend a new tab and continue on.
  7. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Tried bending a new tab and continuing on, but now the cord is about 4 inches from retracting all the way back in.